Strange noise from new tank

Supraz

Reefing newb
I have a new tank that i filled with saltwater last saturday. I didnt notice anything strange when i filled it, but it was full of saltwater, so its not like i just sat there and watched it. I was having trouble regulating the heat so I got a heater on tuesday. At this point I didnt notice anything either.

Yesterday I fill the tank full of live rock / sand. There were plenty of hitchhikers as well. Now Ive noticed this "popping" or "Tapping" noise comming from my tank. I cant pinpoint it and have NO idea what it could be. I have a MH light that came with the tank(light comes with a fan... 2 plugs total), protein skimmer, and some powerheads that are not hooked up. I have unplugged everything... Even the pump. I still hear this noise.

I noticed near the silicon at the bottom theres a scratch or maybe a crack (I think im paranoid). Its a possibility in my mind that they cut the silicon with a razor if its too high and that might be what it is. For peace of mind i put my arm in the tank to the bottom and the scratch/crack isnt all the way through. In my mind now that noise im hearing is that crack spreading.

Someone please tell me they have an idea of what that noise could be!!!! :frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

this noise is happening ALL THE TIME and i dont see any air bubbles like a mantis shrimp would leave. This happens probably once or twice every minute. Oceanic support told me to drain the tank and take it back :|

It could be a mantis shrimp or a pistol shrimp. I've had my tank setup for a few weeks now and I've been hearing that same noise. It wasn't until yesterday that I finally saw the shrimp that's been making all the noise. If there's another hitchhiker near the hole he's living in, he will constantly make that noise to try and keep them away.

i was pulling out live rock and though i heard it come from outside the tank... same noise... so i got in the bathtub with a rock and gloves and really inspected the rock.... theres alot of crabs i didnt even notice... plus a small shrimp a little bigger than a peice of rice... with one huge pincher.... i think i may of heard him pop.... hes now in a glass beside me.... waiting to see if i hear anything...

Well, hopefully you got it out. There might even be mor than one of those shrimp in there. You might have to end up taking out all the LR and giving a fresh water bath to rid of all the unwanted hitchhikers. If you find any good hitchhikers that fall off just throw them back in the tank.

So i take the LR out.... and submerge it in a bucket of RO water and all the inverts should jump off the rock?

i was pulling out live rock and though i heard it come from outside the tank... same noise... so i got in the bathtub with a rock and gloves and really inspected the rock.... theres alot of crabs i didnt even notice... plus a small shrimp a little bigger than a peice of rice... with one huge pincher.... i think i may of heard him pop.... hes now in a glass beside me.... waiting to see if i hear anything...

Pistol Shrimp?

Here's a few in this pie dish, these all came from one big rock.

764884269_64F68-L.jpg

So i take the LR out.... and submerge it in a bucket of RO water and all the inverts should jump off the rock?

In theory, but depending on the rock, the nooks and crannies can go so deep that the RO water won't bother them.

howd u get them off dennis?

I squirted scolding hot water into the holes of the rock and they came crawling out.
I still have some pistols. They can be fine. I was mostly concerned with finding Mantis Shrimps and Gorilla Crabs. The Gorillas are the ones with the black pointy claws.

In theory they'll either fall off or die in the rock. But, I did two 5 minute freshwater dips with one of my rocks and only 3 crabs came off. I know I also had mantis shrimp and 6 other crabs in the rock that didn't come off and still lived. So it's not fool proof.
Also that shrimp you found is a pistol shrimp, they are reef safe but some people choose to take them out because the noise may be annoying depending where your tank is setup.

I initially thought it was the heater. But i had EVERYTHING unplugged and it was still happening. At that point in time i had moved the heater out of the tank and into the kitchen.. Its either one of the many tiny pistol shrimp in there or the glass is breaking... Once the live rock was removed and in the bathtub most of the noise had stopped.. now that its back in there i can here it snapping again every once in awhile. SO glad its not in my room lol

I don't think it would be your glass breaking, making that noise. If it was I think you'd have a puddle on your floor considering how often you said you were hearing the popping noise

Back