strange question

WarmWaterDiver

Reefing newb
I have a 43 gallon tank. I also have a good amount of live rock in my tank so I actually have less than 43 gallons. My question is how can I calculate my actual gallons based on how much rock I have in there, approximately? I am moving to an apartment that actually allows a tank this size on the 2nd floor but I want to be fairly certain it's within the 40 gallon size limit.

Well imagine the space your rock would take up if you piled it all in a bucket.... Understandable there will be cracks and holes, but if you can at least pack a 5 gallon bucket you should be just fine.... Of course that depends on if your counting sump if you have one.... Also if you have a canister filter that wil also take a gallon of water or so. So I guess there are more factors than just rock if you wanting to get that technical about it.

Thanks Alexander! That's the only way I could think of doing it also. Just wanted to check. I can at least fill a 5 gallon bucket. My sump is about 20 gallons but I am going to omit that bit of information since it won't leak, overflow, or topple over if there's an earthquake. Thanks again!

Back