stupid sump question?

bwaller76

Love my tanks!
Ok so is there any thought on having a sump but placing the protein skimmer outside of the sump in a different location? Would there be a point of having a sump that consists of the live rock and having the benefit of water level maintenance?
:bowdown::bounce:

You certainly can place your skimmer in a separate location but I think it will just convolute the plumbing for the system. But I guess it kinda depends on your reasoning for wanting to place it separately. Have you decided on a skimmer for your system yet? Are you looking at an external skimmer?

I'd go for an in-sump skimmer. It's separated from the return pump section with a few baffles to prevent micro bubbles from getting back to the return pump.

bwaller76:

I just added a sump to my setup. I'm now in the process of upgrading my small skimmer which currently hangs on the back of my tank. I'm looking at putting a skimmer outside of my sump for a few reasons:

1) I have an odd sump I made from an old wet/dry that has a series of very small compartments that won't fit any "in sump" skimmers I can find that are of suitable size for my upgrade.

2) My sump is under my cabinet and I don't have enough space to set a skimmer next to it.

3) Skimmers can be very loud IMO. Going remote will let me set my skimmer in a different room directly behind my tank andI will plumb through the wall.

It is definitely more of a pain in the@## to go remote but in my case my space requires me to get creative. That's the primary reason I think most people go remote. In addition many of the really high capacity skimmers are quite large and also require large pumps to drive them.

I got to measuring and yes space vertically is going to be an issue. I had thought about plumbing the sump into my under the stairs closet but I am very concerned about the long term effects of water evaporation on the paint and sheetrock. I havent really thought about the noise of the skimmer but at the same time...I have another fish tank with a filter constantly running in my living room and there are no bedrooms downstairs. I have found some really good deals on some hob skimmers and I think I am going to go that route.

I like the idea of having a sump for the water level consistency, heating, and water circulation. I am pretty certain I am still going to have a sump and I think I am leaning towards the hob skimmer.
:bowdown::bounce:

Back