Substitute for Anenome?

Cr1ck37

Reefing newb
So I have a Nova Extreme 12k/actinic (dual bulb) unit. What would be a good substitute for an Anenome for my Clownfish. I've read frog spawn / hammer coral are good substitutes. Any other suggestions that would be recommended with my lighting? And yes I understand Anenome etc / clownfish will not always be symbiotic to each other, just looking for suggestions.

FYI, 29 gallon about 3 months old right now.

mine host frogspawn
sw3-10-11005.jpg

My Female Clownfish LOVES her Duncan coral. The Male never left the hairy shrooms though. They both hosted the shrooms till the female discovered the Duncan coral. Frogspawn, hammers, and torches are all susceptible to being beaten to death by hosting clowns, I've had it happen. Also, your fixture is will work fine for just about anything. I run the same wattage over my 29g

Mine have a huge hairy mushroom hosting them. If not kept in check though, a hairy mushroom can easily grow out of control. I'd becareful with the frogspawn/hammer clowns can be too rough for them.

I may have to carefully rescape my rocks, its all connected as one big reef at the moment. How fast do corals generally grow, obviously depends on the tank but average? In this case for example frogspawn / hairy mushrooms?

Karen, i want those barnacles NOW!!! :D Hahaha i would love to have some of those, i have been searching everywhere!

Karen, i want those barnacles NOW!!! :D Hahaha i would love to have some of those, i have been searching everywhere!

I found them walking on our beach. I need to go beachcombing again. My LMB loves them. Here's a better pic maybe :shock:
ab039577.jpg

Last edited:
I ended up getting a Long Tentacle Plated Coral, they seem to take a liking to it. They are rubbing against it, but the coral has not yet accepted it (still stings them it seems)

I've read that the are good in "moderate" light and good for "beginners" so here's hoping they form a bond!

Back