Suggestions for cheap plants

KidJ57

Struggling Reef Addict
I've sworn off the coral for various reasons and am now in the market for some marine plants...have yet to check any other of my LFS's...es...essessisses :ugh:, but so far the one I frequent has a rather small selection and AIN'T THAT CHEAP :grumble:...Soooo, I started looking online and LiveAquaria has a little better selectrion but a similar price range; I found this place
Reef and marine aquarium plants. Seagrape, algae and other saltwater aquarium needs
But the site looks a little :shock:....:pooh:...:12: "Out-of-date" :squint: ....was wondering if anyone had some secret back alley marine plant hook-up with some really good plants...:Shock: Not those kinds a plants...:shock: well, maybe after I get the one's for my tank, then yes, feel free to let me know those too :lol: I'd really hate to stock my tank with little chaeto "shrubs" all over my tank, but at the moment that's all I can afford.

I had those shaving brushes before too. Had great lighting but they still died. I think they harvest those and then sell them quickly to unsuspecting customers. It would be interesting to know if anyone has had long term success with those things!

lol all I had was a 40 watt pc fixture. It still took them a few months to die. I am going to get some again now that I have a 150 watt mh. The other thing I didnt have sand I had crushed coral they dont like that either. Now I have sand. Very cool looking "plants" Like minni trees.

Very cool looking "plants" Like minni trees.

I thought that too plus they help cut down on nitrates and phosphates and improve oxygen levels in the tank...it's like win, win, win....If only the person running this fish tank we call earth would plant a few extra "shaving brushes" we might be able to cut down on our deritus build up :lol:

The only warning I've seen about those shrubs, other than you and DC mentioning a potential short life span, is that Sea Urchin like to uproot them and kill them, but beyond that LivingAquaria said that they need anywhere from 3-5 Watts per gallon so I may have to hold off till I upgrade my lights as I barely have 2 watts per gallon now...and a sea urchin, haha.

Oh, and thanks for the site Ted...they do have some pretty good prices :mrgreen:

i want red mangroves, i dont know why, i just want em growing in my sump, i just think its cool to be growing a tree in my tank, i cant wait till this move is over so i can start adding things to my tank, but ofcourse i'll have to wait till it settles down again, damn, starting the coral timer over sucks...

I was looking at Mangroves also, I thought they looked fun, but I need to do more research about them, the only thing I read about the so far is that the leaves need to be kept out of the tank :12:? I didn't get how that was supposed to be possible when you're buying 6" shoots that need to be planted into your substrate and have a 20" deep tank...the math didn't quite work out for me :frustrat:

I'm assuming there's more to it and I just need to read more...with that, if anyone knows good care instructions for mangroves...POST 'EM!! please :mrgreen: I know I'm curious and I'm sure Project wouldn't mind either.

Could you buy a plastic fry breeder container, add some sand and plant your mangroves then attach it to the side of your fuge? You could block the lower segments of the bars so that the sand will not fall out and then you still get water flow through the container. Just something to think about. :)

Could you buy a plastic fry breeder container, add some sand and plant your mangroves then attach it to the side of your fuge? You could block the lower segments of the bars so that the sand will not fall out and then you still get water flow through the container. Just something to think about. :)

:shock: That's an awesome idea! Only problem is that I don't have a fuge (I was misdirected by my LFS and got a $160 cannister filter so I've been making due till I can save up for the next tank :mrgreen:) Still, :scratchch, I could put something like that in my DT for now as I will be converting it to a sump later.

My only other question though: does it look weird having just shoots in your tank then all these leaves sticking out the top? Or was the website I read incorrect and you can in fact fully submerse a mangrove?

You can submerse it but I think it always strives to have it's leaves above water. Like a lily pad. If it is submersed due to rain it will grow over night to be above or floating on the water. I think in the beginning your mangrove's leaves should be above water.

So I drew up some plans for my new mangroves; open to suggestions :mrgreen:

MangroveSet-up.jpg

I recently got a HOB fuge and love it! I stuffed it with macro's and I have all kinds of critters living in now :)

Everything I had read about the mangroves and my LFS said to keep the tops out of the water :(

I think we all do...that's why we're always on this site :lol:

The picture didn't really take all that long...it would have looked a lot better if I did :lol:

ONly problem I see is that there are no female tangs playing volley ball in skimpy bikini's..... Also, there are no limes for that bucket of corona's!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are not excuses for the lack of female tangs :sad: It's a regular fish-sausage fest in there :grumble:

As for the limes for the coronas...Don't you remember? Tang are naturally tangy...they don't need limes; geez, I thought you were smart BJ :squint: :lol:

Looked damn good to me! I couldn't begin to do something like that! :claphands

It's easy: Step 1 Take picture of random section of tank with large portion of sand; Step 2 Search images from the internet to steal...:ugh: ...I mean "borrow" :squint:; Step 3 copy and paste :mrgreen:

Thanks though; I always enjoy it when my mediocrity impresses people; it's like showing a lighter to a caveman, "Ooooh, fire" :lol:

....I'm just playin' Thanks Dave! :mrgreen:

Back