Suggestions

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
I will be leaving for a long over dued vacation. I'm still fighting red algae. I was hoping to have the new LR I bought to be fully cured before I left to see if that would help my DT. My sister will be taking care of my tank while I'm gone. Any suggestions on what to do about the tank while I gone? I just don't want to come back to a bigger problem then what I already have.

How long will be you gone for? I guess just instruct your sister on the basics (ie, feeding, top off water, water change, etc.) . Tell her to look at the tank everyday and make sure the fish are acting normal. To check for temp every day...

Thats all i can think of now. .

you can always ask the LFS if they will hold the fish while your gone and if they do thats a sign of a good store and if the fish are gone you can just shut everything off

don't shut everything off you have more living in there other than fish. just give her a list of things to do. maybe have her come over a couple of times and help you clean it that way she will have the basic idea of how to do it herself.

Have your sister do as little as possible.I believe you already have an ATO so no worries there.Have her come over to check the tank out each day,make sure the ATO resevoir is full of freshwater and feed maybe every other day.Instruct her on how much to feed so she doesn't overfeed.

Good luck and have fun on vacation.

She'll be staying at the house. I figured I would make sure there is plenty of water made. I was thinkong of adding the calcium in the tap off water. Would that be alright? Feed once a day. I was thinking of keeping lights on a shorter period of time.

Depending on how long you'll be gone.You could leave the lights off untill you got back.
That would take care of a lot of the cyano.I wouldnt suggest leaving em off for more than a week though.

Calcium supplements really shouldn't be added to freshwater resevoirs unless it specifically says you can do that.High concentration in small amounts of water causes precipitation or something like that.Kalkwasser,purple up,aragamilk is a few calcium additive that can be added to a freshwater resevoir.

You should be fine without dosing until you get back,so you can monitor the results.

Back