Sump Confusion

I'm getting ready to setup a sump for my 55 gal tank. I am planning in using the Tom Aquatics Pro Series Surface Skimmer Overflow Box since I don''t have a drilled tank. The overflow box can handle up to 950 GPH. I was also planning on using a Mag-Drive Supreme 9.5 950 GPH pump in the sump.

My confusion starts when I wonder what will happen if the overflow box is only provided 900 GPH. Does that mean my sump will empty?

Thanks

I think you will be fine. You have to consider "head loss" when planning your plumbing. The 950 that the pump provides is at 0' raise. As the height that the pump is lifting the water, the less GPH it will provide.

Also, many people have a valve in line with the pump to dial in the flow rate.

Oh I see what you are saying and that makes sense. I just couldn't figure out how I would get the two to match so something doesn't overflow.

As long as your overflow is rated higher than the return pump (considering for headloss) then you will be fine....the pump will push the water up at its given rate and as long as the overflow can keep up with it gravity will do the rest....

I'm totally gonna hijack this thread now...pardon me.

I have a 600 GPH overflow box and a 1000GPH pump with 10' or so of rise (it will be in my basement). Sound good? Using 1" pipe I assume? How many bends would be permitted?

It really depends on your pump. they usually have the specs on the Box telling you how much flow you loose per foot.

Try to minimize the 90s also. By rule of thumb, each 90 adds a foot of head loss. Use two 45's instead, or if you can locate them, long sweep 90s.

Back