Sump Equipment

adampw

Reefing newb
I am trying to decide what over flow and return pump to buy for my setup. I have a 29g main with a 20g high sump. I was thinking of the CS50 with a 300gph for the overflow and a MAG5 pump (500gph) for the return pump. Does anyone think this would be sufficient water flow for a 29g? The total volume would circulate 10 times per hour. Thanks!

That sounds fine to me. I've got a similar setup (Eheim pump, but similar rating) and it is able to maintain a decent turnover even with the height it needs to pump the water to - works out perfectly actually. I also have a couple of powerheads inside the display for circulation.

The recommended flow thru a sump is 5-10x the tank volume. You're looking at a 300 gph overflow, but a 500 gph pump? Even taking in head loss, you might be cutting it close. You don't want to be pumping more water into the tank than the overflow can drain back into the sump. You can end up with a empty sump and overflowing tank.

if this is an issue (head loss is significant on mine - 29g Oceanic Biocube using the supplied stand but taking out the middle shelf) you could install a ball valve after the pump to adjust the flow...

The recommended flow thru a sump is 5-10x the tank volume. You're looking at a 300 gph overflow, but a 500 gph pump? Even taking in head loss, you might be cutting it close. You don't want to be pumping more water into the tank than the overflow can drain back into the sump. You can end up with a empty sump and overflowing tank.

I see what are you are saying. The height difference between my sump and my main display will be about 4-4.5 feet. Plus I will be installing a ball valve to control the water flow back to the main display. Thanks for the quick replys!

You can install a ball valve on the return line, but some pumps don't handle the back pressure well. An alternative is to make a T in the return line, with both parts of the T having a ball valve. One will return to the sump, and the other goes to the display tank. That way you can simply redirect any extra flow back into the sump without putting as much pressure on the pump.

Back