sump fuge template

Fish4life

Reefing newb
hello out there. i am very much new to saltwater aquariums. had fish my entire life from snakeheads to pirhanna to africans. have a couple friends reefkeeping so that will help me lots along my way to my start up. i am setting up a 75 gallon dt with a 40 gallon sump. i am making my sump system myself with a 40 gallon aquarium and a good friend who owns a custom plastic shop. this is my design i mocked up with foamboard as a template, the intake chamber isnt cut out yet because i dont have the measurements for my filter sock. here are some pictures for some opinions. and also not sure if i should run my skimmer before the fuge or after, any thoughts good or bad are appreciated.

Attachments

• photo (10).jpg
    photo (10).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 585
  • photo (11).jpg
    photo (11).jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 589
have a 3 inch sand bed in the dt 40 lbs live sand and 40 lbs regular. going to add in 75 lbs of live rock next. 2 hydor 1050"s and an old penguin biowheel with only filter foam in it more for extra circulation than anything else

Run the skimmer before the fuge.

I'd skip the live sand and just ask one of your friends for a cup of their sand. You're sand will become live within a few weeks/months and it'll save you some $.

You might want to think about adding some more LR as well, the general rule is 1.5-2 lbs per gallon. You can add some to your fuge if you don't want to overrun your tank.

Last edited:
Back