SUMP? or REFRUGIUM

Cody010493

Reefing newb
hey yal whats the difference bet. these two and which one do i need to do? all i want these for is to grow some good algae and i also want to put my protein skimmer down their to just get it out he way im fine with everything else in main tank but i don want like live sand. and some live rock to put maby corals. jw what is better? it is for a 10 gal bc i don't have much room under cabinet

A refugium is just a sump with a small section to grow macro algaes. With a 10g tank you'll have a hard time fitting a refugium in there.

Yeah, pretty much what Brian said. I guess I consider a refugium as one section of the sump, used to grow beneficial algae, pods, etc. Typically your sump would be split into three sections... drain/skimmer, refugium, return.

IMO, all sump problems come from lack of room under tank, my advise, build your own stand. Make it look like a table your small tank sits on

Well..I just measured it out. The biggest tank I can fit under my 70gal can be 28inches long, and around 12inches wide. Height isn't really an issue. Going by petco tomorrow to see what they have

Did you find anything? I'm interested in trying to get something for mine down the road as well so will be keeping a eye in here. :)

Back