Sump redesign

coolhandgoose

Reef enthusiast
So I bought a new skimmer and it's huge! So now the problem is it won't fit in the sump with the current baffle set up. Which design would be better? I don't keep a refugium perse Mostly a chamber full of additional rock.

photo2-13.jpg

photo1-13.jpg

I suppose the other option would be to forget the baffle between the rocks and skimmer.

Here's the skimmer
photo-6.jpg

I'm with you on the bubble trap. I don't know if it worth installing another 2 baffles just to rid of bubbles. I guess it depends on how many bubbles your skimmer spits out.

Right now my sump kind of looks like pic number 2. The return pump is in the middle, rocks on the right, and skimmer on the left. I was thinking of keeping the existing bubble trap and moving the return pump to the left chamber. I'd have to cut out the right hand baffle and re silicone it to make room for the skimmer on the right.

I'm going with option 2, the redesign is happening tonight somewhat.
I'm going to start with getting the plumbing rerouted so the return pump can function in the left chamber. Tomorrow morning I'm going to cut the right baffle out and move it over to accommodate the skimmer. I'm also going to cut out the right hand baffle for the bubble trap to create a little more space.

Back