Sump Ref Advice (pics)

blazk

Reefing newb
Ok i have a 80x36x46 (cm) 31.5x14.2x18.1 (inches) Sump at the present moment, i would like to build a Refrigium into it.

This is how my setup looks at the moment
sumppic7.jpg

And this is what i would like to turn it into..Sorry my sketch up skills are still pretty bad.
modsump.png

Here it is with Measurements
Link (pictures pretty big)

All the spacings between the baffles are 1" except the ref itself which is 14"

Would this design work?
What needs to be changed?

Thanks for Reading

Last edited:
Sweet :D thanks ccCapt. The thing is how do i run the tank with the sump out of action for at least 24 hours while the sealant seals?

Your live rock does most the work anyway. You could borrow a cantister filter if needed, but I dont think you will.

You'll be alright for a few days. What I did when I had to reseal one of my baffles. I used a HOB filter. Had no problem. Got tank back up and running after 3 days.

Exciting times, i just finished putting all the baffles in. Here is what it looks like now.

From Right to left: Overflow, Over/Under/Over to the Fuge, Over / Under to the Return.
newsump.JPG

newsump1.JPG

newsump2.JPG

Im Please how it came out, have to wait least 24 hours for the silicon to cure before i can test the seals 1 at a time.

The cracked glass is still there (on the bottom) with another pane on top of it. Tested this morning seals were good with no leaks.

Thanks all for the help along the way.

Thanks all for you kind words. I did a water / seal check today only found 1 tiny pin hole leak. So plugged it and waiting another 24 hours to cure, before retesting the seals.

Well here it is all newly plumbed and just put the sand in. Got a good deal on fine crushed coral sand and made a DSB (deep Sand Bed), got a mate who's giving me some macro algae so im back in business.. Well once i fill it, waiting on RO lol.
finishedsump.JPG

Looks good....except you are going to have to raise the skimmer. Looking at the height of the baffles, the skimmer will be too deep in the water. It should sit in about 7" of water.

Back