Sump/Refugium System

Becki67

Reefing newb
Hello,

I've moving into unknown territory again and feel like an imbecile. I've read and read and read on the subject of a sump. Is that a refugium, too? We want to put one under our tank. I've looked online and found one called Aquafuge pro. It includes the skimmer, too, which we need. Is that a good one or can someone help me with this topic.

Our tank has constant algae and looks like crap all the time. All of the FS stores tell us to get an undertank sump going. Our tank isn't drilled or anything...does that make it more difficult?

I also called the FS and asked what they would charge to come in and install one and he's telling me about $700 dollars including the skimmer. Am I getting ripped off?

yes...that's way too much for a sump/refugium...you can easily make one and get a skimmer to put inside with a water pump...the best way to set it up is next to the tank or above the tank and let gravity feed the water flow, that way you won't run into any issues with water problems later...I have made my own sump/regugium w/ acrylics and don't even cost me $80...

I would definitely set up a sump. They are very easy to make. All you need is a aquarium and some baffles. I made my own and it was really easy. You'll also need a overflow box and stuff for plumbing. Which is pretty easy to set up. If I can do it anyone can. How much room is under your tank? Also how close is the tank aganist the wall? Plus buy a good skimmer.

A refugium is a sump,part of a sump or separate from the sump-confusing,huh?

You have several option since your tank isn't predrilled.Either get it drilled or drill it yourself or use an overflow box.If you are handy(or know someone who is),building one from a small fish tank is going to be way cheaper than buying one or getting the LFS to do it.BTW,the Aquafuge is fine as a sump/refugium but the skimmer is pretty worthless.

I think you are better off buying an empty aquarium, overflow box and skimmer separate. That will save you hundreds of dollars right there. Add some PVC to connect the pieces, and you've got a sump!

i thought setting up a sump would be super confusing with the return pump and where to place the equipment.and i had absoulty no clue what an over flow was. but it actully preatty simple. (from my understanding. mine still not setup.lol)

That price all depends on what they are using for a skimmer. If its a top notch skimmer thats not terrible. Do you know what brand they intended on using?

$700.00 for the sump and installing it aint that bad a price.But like the others said,You'll save yourself some cash by just building your own sump.
I think I spent somewhere around 30 bucks building my sump/fuge.But that also includes the light on the fuge.

Back