Sump refugium

algy1943

Reefing newb
Hi guys, my sump is not illuminated full time, if I want to grow caulerpa in the refugium will it need to be lit up full time?

algy1943

Last edited:
No, you should either have it lit up opposite your display tank, or 24 hours a day. Keeping it lit opposite will help keep the pH of your system stable.

You should use chaetomorpha instead of caulerpa. Caulerpa has been known to cause some tank crashes by releasing all of its nutrients back into the water all of a sudden.

No, you should either have it lit up opposite your display tank, or 24 hours a day. Keeping it lit opposite will help keep the pH of your system stable.

You should use chaetomorpha instead of caulerpa. Caulerpa has been known to cause some tank crashes by releasing all of its nutrients back into the water all of a sudden.

How do you get it to grow I am the proud owner of your super cheato and it's mass has not changed am I doing something wrong and why is there red slime growing on it ? I just rinse it out when I do a water change

My refugium is under my tank, if I put chaeto, will the refu require light 24hrs

How do you get it to grow I am the proud owner of your super cheato and it's mass has not changed am I doing something wrong and why is there red slime growing on it ? I just rinse it out when I do a water change

Do you have a lot of fish or feed a lot? Chaeto can only grow as fast as it's fed. If you don't have a lot of nitrates or phosphates being produced in your tank, its growth will be limited.

Do you have a lot of fish or feed a lot? Chaeto can only grow as fast as it's fed. If you don't have a lot of nitrates or phosphates being produced in your tank, its growth will be limited.

I try not to ouer stock I got tired of being yelled at. Frozen Brine and Mysis 2X a day (one cube split between two 12 gallon tanks and the 28 gallon) 11 fish total between the three tanks

chaeto is the same way, light it either opposite cycle of your DT or 24 hours.
sorry for acting thick, my sump is under my tank, the cheato is in the refug, i have 20w CFB equivalent to 100w, does this have to stay illuminated for 24hrs?

YES. I KNOW. Either keep the light on it 24 hours a day, or keep the light on it opposite what your display tank is. Your fuge will need its own light. That's why everyone recommended the CFL bulbs, remember?

SO if your tank lights are on from 8 am until 8 pm, then turn your fuge light on from 8 pm to 8 am. OPPOSITE THE DISPLAY TANK.

YES. I KNOW. Either keep the light on it 24 hours a day, or keep the light on it opposite what your display tank is. Your fuge will need its own light. That's why everyone recommended the CFL bulbs, remember?

SO if your tank lights are on from 8 am until 8 pm, then turn your fuge light on from 8 pm to 8 am. OPPOSITE THE DISPLAY TANK.

I know when men get to my age we have trouble understanding youngsters, so what do you mean OPPOSITE THE DISPLAY TANK? :frustrat:

Read the last line of what I wrote, please.

Say, for example, your tank lights are on from 8 am to 8 pm. Then you will want your refugium light to be on opposite of that. So 8 pm to 8 am. One is on during the day -- your tank. The other is on during the night -- your refugium light.

Read the last line of what I wrote, please.

Say, for example, your tank lights are on from 8 am to 8 pm. Then you will want your refugium light to be on opposite of that. So 8 pm to 8 am. One is on during the day -- your tank. The other is on during the night -- your refugium light.

Der got it, I am so thick

Back