sump vs wet/dry or both

newbeemike

Reefing newb
As many of you already know. I am going to upgrade to a larger tank. I am pretty Illiterate when it comes to wet/dry filters and sumps. I was wondering, do i need to have a wet dry and a sump, a sump by itself? or the wet dry by itself. Do sumps work as a filter in itself? I was flippng back and forth between a 135 gal, 150 gal, and a 180 gal tank. I know if I get the 135 or the 150, I am going to be regreting it later so I am leaning heavily toward the 180. I know us guys have a compensation with size (hahaha). (I know thats pay back for calling Bifferwine by the wrong name). What do you guys think about this. Let me know. Is a sump more than enough. Another question, is how big a sump to put? Glasscages recommends a 49 gallon. Is that sufficent? Should I get a sump from somewhere else? I gonna be using some of my tax money to finance the upgrade. I am going to have a budget of about $2,000 for the tank and sump.

Just do the sump by itself. Wet/dry filters aren't necessary and can even lead to nitrate and algae problems. The sump doesn't work as a filter alone, the sump is just a name for the second tank or compartment that holds your equipment. Get the largest sump you can afford and can fit (most people put their sumps in their stand, under the tank). This will give you more water volume for your tank. Then you put your protein skimmer in the sump. A sump with protein skimmer and adequate live rock will be a more effective filtration system than a wet/dry.

Biff pretty much got it. I would recommend however that if you have the room to place the sump in back of the tank on a shorter stand. Make sure its low enough to accommodate a hang on overflow if that's what you are using.

This will make it much easier to access for setup and maintenance. Decrees head highth for the pump meaning you could buy a less expensive pump and water can be siphoned directly out of the sump for water changes.

Plumbing will also then be pretty much straight runs from the sump to tank also allowing you to run a less powerful/expensive pump and any drip or leaks should they develop in the plumbing will most likely fall harmlessly into the sump until they can be dealt with.

Good luck with the new setup.

Biff pretty much got it. I would recommend however that if you have the room to place the sump in back of the tank on a shorter stand. Make sure its low enough to accommodate a hang on overflow if that's what you are using.

Considering that most people have their tank up against a wall, how on earth would putting a sump BEHIND the tank be easier than down below??? Maybe I need a pic to understand what you're talking about, different than what I'm picturing in my head.
True you have less head height but the difference between a mag 3 and a mag 5 pump is like 10 bucks.

I agree with what Bifferwine,the live rock will be your main biological filter so the wet/dry will be a waste even added maintenance.I do like the 180g better as well,it's not much deeper than a 150g,yet is wider(24'' vs. 18'').A 50g. sump will be fine,go as big for the space provided.

Considering that most people have their tank up against a wall, how on earth would putting a sump BEHIND the tank be easier than down below??? Maybe I need a pic to understand what you're talking about, different than what I'm picturing in my head.
True you have less head height but the difference between a mag 3 and a mag 5 pump is like 10 bucks.

It just makes setting up the plumbing and maintnence much easier. You can do it standing up behind the tank rather than crawling under the stand. You also eliminate any 90 or 45s in the plumbing to direct the water back under the stand if you are useing hang on over flows and most all of the potential leak points are directly over the sump eliviateing any fears there and like I said the water can be siphoned directly out of the sump for water changes.

I have done it both ways and maitnence was much easier with the sump behind the tank with much more access. Just pulling the skimmer to clean it without doing a contortion act was worth it.

LIke I said you do have to have the room to do it and it can present some astetics issues depending on where the tank is going to be located in the house.

BHtanksump.JPG

Back