sump/ wet dry pump question

pod

Reefing newb
Can anyone suggest the appropriate return pump size (GPH), for a sump that is 4 feet(that's from top of tank to the bottom of the stand). This would be for an overflow rated at 300 GPH. My question is how to match the overflow box rate and compensate for the return height back to the top of the tank. I would think that a more powerful pump is needed to counteract the gravity? Any thoughts?

You need to find the pump specs and find one that will pump the GPH you want at the head pressure for your setup. If your overflow is rated for 300GPH, you don't want to overpower it. If you overpower it with a 100GPH pump it'll just fill the tank. Get a pump thats rated for about 280---350GPH at 4 feet of head pressure. By the time you push the water through the pies and around a couple 90* bends, it'll be down around 300GPH.

The Mag Drive 5 will do 310GPH at 4 feet.

Also look at the Quiet Ones pumps. I personally feel they are much less noisy and still reliable. I purchased two Mags and took them back because of the noise and vibration.

I thought the lobster wasn't crabby enough. So I thought I would put me up there instead. I just can't seem to find the right crab. It's also nice to kinda see who people are your talkin' to.

The "Crabs Are Evil Society" is to show support for Justin D. :)

I thought the lobster wasn't crabby enough. So I thought I would put me up there instead. I just can't seem to find the right crab. It's also nice to kinda see who people are your talkin' to.

The "Crabs Are Evil Society" is to show support for Justin D. :)

I started the Crabs Are Evil Society - where's my props? :grumble:

How can you be in P.E.T.C and the crabs are evil. Make up your mind dude. Oh and I agree with the pictures of yourself for a avatar thats why I posted mine. :D

How can you be in P.E.T.C and the crabs are evil. Make up your mind dude. Oh and I agree with the pictures of yourself for a avatar thats why I posted mine. :D

No wonder why project only needed one guy to help move his tank!!!!!:mrgreen:

And just because you think crabs are evil does not mean you cant treat them ethically. They are not mutually exclusive.:D

yea, and i've met the dude, so i can vouch for the pic.. i guess you got a trim before taking this pic tho, huh?!?!?! hehehe :mrgreen:

Back