Sump

Nemo2010

Reefing newb
Alright you guys talked me into it... I am stepping away from the cannister that is running my 75g and building a sump system... I already have the 30g long tank for the sump just wondering how to build it.. I mean i see some that are just for equipment and some with plants and all in them.. What should i do? Given that its a 30g i assume i have room for a nice sump but i have no clue thats why i need you guys lol..... If you can let me know what to put in it and some good articles on how to build it that would be great. I watched the youtube video on Do It Yourself sumps which is nice but im not drilling as i need to use an over flow box is what i was told. SOOOO what size over flow should i get (800gph) or more? and do i need a pump that does 800gph or do i use smaller? also what type of protein skimmer should i use... You guys have been doing this for a LONG time so what you tell me is what i do and what you tell me to get is what i buy :). Thanks for the help.

Check out some of the build threads. Tons of info and options on what you can do. I'm sure some of the "EXPERTS" will chime in soon. Good Luck!!

Here's how mine is setup.

Left Side
DSCN0128.jpg

Right Side
DSCN0127.jpg

Full Shot
DSCN0123.jpg

What Bluespace did is probably the most basic and easiest way to set up a sump. It has 3 compartments -- the first (where the water enters) will hold your skimmer, heater, and other equipment, the second is a refugium that holds sand, rock and macroalgae, and the third holds the return pump.

Here's a pretty popular video and it's what I used to make my sump/refugium. There's a part 1 and part 2.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o[/ame]

yep thats the same video i used the only thing is that i wish i would have put a higher baffle for the return pump so you dont have to add water as often, but i guess i can extend my baffle a little higher,

Attachments

• P5031603.jpg
    P5031603.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 349
  • P5111633.jpg
    P5111633.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 315
  • P5111632.jpg
    P5111632.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 424
  • P5091624.jpg
    P5091624.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 417
That's what I thought. I looked just like mine, but I couldn't read the label in the pic. How do you like it? I don't have mine set up yet.

its only been in use for 3 weeks now, they say it takes a few weeks to fully break in and i dont have much of a bio load on it since my tank is new and only 2 damsels and a clean up crew but it does suck out some stuff im sure it while do great once i put more fish and corals in it, my tank is a 90 gal with the 30 gal sump so the oct 160 should do a good job

Do not throw away your canister filter. In an emergency it can really be a life saver if its filled with the right kind of media and used on a temporary basis.

Back