Supplements

Nedim

Reefing newb
I started dosing liquid calcium and strontium and Molybdenum. Basically to promote corraline. The thing is-Im getiing some bright green algae and really ugly diatoms. Ive got snails and hermit crabs. Any ideas?

Last time I checked, nitrates were 20. No clue on phos. and silicates. Whats a good test kit for everything?

There isn't really a test kit for everything... You have to buy those separate. Work on getting the nitrates down, I bet you have phosphates too. I doubt it's the supplements that are causing the algae. Try a phosphate sponge or something like that. If you are overfeeding, cut back. I had major algae issues when I fed flakes and pellets. Switched to frozen only and haven't had a problem since. If you keep your lights on too much, cut back on that too.

Well, I feed 1 frozen cube of shrimp a day. I was thinking of adding a phosphate sponge and maybe something for the nitrates.

Nedim,
I don't know what kind of lighting you are running but I couldn't get coralline to grow under NO lights.Maybe it was just me.

I wouldn't dose for calcium or anything else if I'm not 100% sure that is was low.
Did the test for calcium showed that it was low?

Is the bright green algae a lime color? The start of coralline algae is lime green and within 3 months it turns red and purple hope this helps.

i agree with reeffreak wouldn't dose it unless you need it, i use seachem products they seem to work well for me like seachem complete it has calcium, strontium, and magnesium and also seachem carbonate.

Im going to agree with everybody else,Dont add anything unless you need too.
Jellys right about the algae too.If it's a lime green color and has to be scraped off with a razor blade then its the begining of coraline.

Oh,and the easiest way to get coraline to grow is take a new soft bristled tooth brush and brush some of the coraline thats on your rock.Some spores will come off and where ever they stick,coraline will grow.

Back