surprise in my zoas

siejack8484

Reefing newb
i had my biggest piece of coral my zoas for about 2 weeks now. well when i was adding my sump i took all the lights off for easier access in the tank n the zoas closed up n i have at least 2 serpant star fish i believe. i seen somthing very strange looking coming out of the zoas n after a couple mins i relized they were some sort of star fish. but for some reason they wont leave the zoas

They're small bristle stars....pretty common. You probably have hundreds of them in your tank. They're harmless.

Well you have a few anyway and they seem to happily multiply when the the water quality is good.They are great little cleaners though so keep up the good work. Always nice to get good hitch hikers.

i was very happy when i seen them i jus never knew they was there till my zoas closed up n there was room in batween them to see.are the starfish goin to stay in there or will they eventually come out??

You'll rarely see the entire body of a small bristle star. You'll see their legs come out from under corals, etc. when you're feeding. They do move around the tank, but you won't see them do it. they mostly stay hidden in the rocks.

Back