swapping sump/refuge

djpj001

Reefing newb
I just finished building a sump/ refuge ( 29 gallons- biggest size that fits under tank). I plan to replace it with an old refuge ( 20 gallons), because I want more water volume. My question is the following- my current refuge is partitioned in half- one part dsb and the other mud, it also contains macro algae. When installing the new fuge which is the same format as my current one, what is the best way to transfer my dsb and mineral mud with the less amount of damaged done to the microorganisms ( anaerobic bacteria, pods, etc..)? I really don't have much of a plan on how to do the transfer- I was just planning to scoop it up with a soup spoon and try my best not to expose the interior of the dsb and mud. Any suggestions??

thx- djpj

Keep the sediment and mud under water best you can. transfer and let settle a bit. no magic to it just try best you can to keep from washing the sediment and mud medium through the water. now having said that I would take most of thewater out of the old refuge and put in a bucket. still leaving the sediment and mud under water. I would then install the new fuge, and put some of the old water in it. then transfer the mud and sediment. once done add the rest of the water to the system. lightly circulate a bit with an inside small filter to clear the water, and once fairly clear start up. hope this helps.

Back