switching tanks need help

cntm

Reefing newb
i'm switching tank sizes from a 20 gal to a 65 gal and i do not want to loose any of my fish or coral. How would i do this switch without looseing them and i do not have the room to keep up my 20 gal at the same time. Any ideas would be of great help.also will be looking to add to tank i will be doing this within the week

Last edited:
switching tanks

One of the things to watch out for is your parameters. second is developing the eco system in the new tank. With larger tanks it will take longer. The old saying patients is a virtue, so true in salt water. To help mature the new tank you could go to the pet stores and get enzymes ones in the bottle are dead enzymes and the frozen are live. I would stick with the live. I would start off with reverse osmosis water with the enzymes, and have the filter running. I would buy a hardy fish like damsels to speed the process. If all parameters are the same as your original tank including temperature start aclimating your substrate and live rocks first then the hardy fish saving the fragile species until last. I used Cycle from Nutrafin along with the frozen enzyme. Time frame from start to finish depends on how the new tank matures and what type of fish you have. I have a 75 gallon I started from scratch and I introduced new fish into the system after three days of filtration and adding enzymes. :sfish:

i would think the live sand and rock from the 20 gal. would be enough to jump start cycling. all the bacteria you need is already in your original tank. i had to replace a tank in a hurry due to some leaks i switched from 55 to 90. i had to put everything into the new tank all at once(not recomended by all, but i had no choice) i did testing everyday and there was a quick cycle but weekly water changes kept everything healthy. it finished cycling about 3 to for week after and all is well. good luck. keep reefing

thanks

Thanks for the info i will let you all know how it comes out when the transfer ie complete and will post pics :bounce:

Back