system for lighting

djpj001

Reefing newb
where can I get lighting descripition?

Hello to all:

I've just started into this reef hobby, and as we speak my 90 gallon tank is cycling. I've been doing good amount of reading to educate myself in this reef hobby. But, the lighting seems to be the most complicated; I think lighting description would be useful in the photo gallery because you can see the tank with the corals and know what type of lighting it's using to grow these corals. So my question is- is there a site where I can see tank pics with detailed lighting description? I've been surfing the web for a forum that might have this but I haven't encountered one. I still think living reefs is a very insightful forum and I'm in no means trying to bash it. I just think tank description like filtration, substrate, type of coral, and especially lighting can be very useful information for a newbie like me.

DJPJ001

Last edited:
Look in helpful articles. John has a zillion things in there to read on all of these subjects.

another thing on lights. Its easier to figure what the needs are, if you know what type of coral your trying to keep.

In addition to the helpful articles, see my photo gallery and journal. The only way a set up system will be as good for you to copy is if you do exactly the same things that the person who has the setup does. since you will probably agree this is not going to happen, I would recommend that you learn about lighting, spectrum, intensity, whats available, and what each type of system is suitable for. once you understand the principles, you will be able to decide which system is best for you. (and only you can make that decision). If you are not able to make a definite determination as to what is the best for what you want to do, you have not learned enough about lighting. Living Reefs has some very specific published articles that have been selected to give you just the right information so you will be able to select the proper lighting system for your setup. So, read all articles on lighting, newbie, beginners, tips, etc. and when you are done if you still do not get it, or, have questions unanswered, post back here and we will try and help you best we can. as for existing systems, I would recommend the following book; it is just what you are looking for (up and running exceptional systems), gives most information about the systems: Ultimate MARINE AQUARIUMS by: Michael S. Paletta ISBN - 1-890087-74-2. Hope something here helps. WELCOME TO THE SITE. happy fishin.

Last edited:
Back