T5 vs Power compact?

hingreef

Reefing newb
Which do you prefer, T5 vs Power Compact?

Have a 40 breeder. Would like to get a new light. Currently have a AquaticLife 36" T5 HO 2 Lamp Fixture, would like to have a dawn to dusk effect. Is there a light I can buy to use with my current one, or should I just buy a new one that meets the tanks needs?

Power compacts are out dated...go with the t5's instead. Most t5 fixtures will allow you to do a dawn-dusk cycle. The actinics will come on 1st, and then the daylights come on later, you set the lighting cycle. T5's also last longer and run cooler.

I have had trouble finding a T5 that has the dusk to dawn effect, any links? I found a power compact for 150 that can do it, but can't find a t5 in same price range that will do that.

If I get a new light, will I be able to use the old one with it?

As long as they all fit on the tank, you can use them both. If you get a 4 bulb fixture, usually two bulbs will be on one switch and the other two will be on another.

T5's put out more usable light than PC's SO deffinantly go with the T5's.

heh, I was gonna remark on why you didn't follow up on Smitty's post and check out aquatraders... but when I went there myself I couldn't find anything to help you >_< They sold me a real nice 48" 4xT5 with digital display to control 3 settings 1st set of T5s, 2nd set of T5s, and the moonlight LEDs for only about $130 shipped. Was called their 48" Pro version or something. I don't know why they are not making more of those... and in diff sizes...

If you are doing a reef you should def stay with the T-5's or look into Metal Halide sets. You can get a metal halide and supplement it with a pair of actinics and LEDs. or you could always go with 2x 2 Bulb fixtures have them on separate timers, and run an LED moonlight strip across the back.

I have seen a lot of people say they like aquatraders & a lot of reviews saying they hate the website. I read a few reviews saying the ballast they bought from them caught on fire. So I was afraid to purchase from them!

I have thought about getting another 2x2 & running it like that, but most of the 4 bulb fixtures I see, seem to do white, blue, white, blue & I would think putting 2 white in one & 2 blue in one may not work right?

Which do you prefer, T5 vs Power Compact?

Have a 40 breeder. Would like to get a new light. Currently have a AquaticLife 36" T5 HO 2 Lamp Fixture, would like to have a dawn to dusk effect. Is there a light I can buy to use with my current one, or should I just buy a new one that meets the tanks needs?

AquaticLife makes a four bulb and six bulb fixture(T5-HO) that have individual reflectors.They have 2 cords to setup a dust/dawn effect.You could add another fixture like the one you have already to setup a dust/dawn effect.My preference is to have six bulbs/individual reflectors to be unlimited.You may get away with four but six is more ideal,IMO.

The light you suggested looks amazing, but I would love to spend around $200, if that is possible. Thats why I listed the 2 lights above. For the money, it seems those are the best I can find.

Out of the two lights you linked to then go with the Sundial.They do have individual reflectors and T5's puts out more light per watt then Pc.

Thanks for the help ! :) For a 40 breeder, would this + AquaticLife 36" T5 HO 2 Lamp Fixture be okay to use together? Or would that be too much lighting?

Back