Tail Spot Blenny Gone

earman88

Reefing newb
Preface: I've had a green hair algae problem, so over the past week or two I have turned off my bright LED's, turning only the moonlights on every now and then. I also placed a couple black garbage bags over the tank to eliminate any ambient light to combat the algae.

----------------------------

Two nights ago I noticed I hadn't seen my TS blenny in a couple days. I finally found him, in the back of my tank just sitting there, looking kinda thin. I hadn't been feeding my fish much in the past couple weeks ( maybe 1-2 times in a 10 day period).

So I dropped in some mysis. The blenny moved around a little, I'm pretty sure he took a bite of the food.

But last night he was no where to be found. I did a water test and noticed I had some nitrates, around 10ppm I think. Every other parameter looked ok.

I'm concerned that he is in some crevice, rotting away. I don't want him to contaminate the water. Also, my hammer coral isn't fully blooming out, as well as my candy cane coral. So something is kinda iffy with my water.

Any advice?

How tight were the bags on the tank for blackout? thinking maybe gas exchange issue?

did you run water test?

The bags weren't on tight at all, I just kinda laid them around the tank and on top. I can't see it being so air tight that it kept oxygen from going into the water.

And yes, I did run a water test. Some nitrates were present which is the only thing that was out of whack.

Last edited:
He might have starved to death :( As long as you keep up with your water changes you should be okay though leaving him in there. I had a couple of fish die in my 10g that I was never able to retrieve because they were in the rocks and never saw an ammonia spike - the cuc and live rock dealt with them.

If you have the uncovered now, I'd try to up your feeding to every other day

Back