Tang in 70 gallon tank?

Ryan1221

Reefing newb
I have a fluval Osaka 260l that has 70lbs of live rock and 80lbs of live sand.

The tank is 41" wide.

Are there any tangs that would do fine in my tank. I am looking at the kole tang and any of the bristletooth tangs

I would be adding this fish last.

I have a fluval Osaka 260l that has 70lbs of live rock and 80lbs of live sand. Have a fluval 496 canister that I run with just chemi pure carbon. In the process of adding a sump. I will be using a tunze 9006 protein.

The tank is 41" wide. I keep hearing that they need at least a 4ft wide tank.

Are there any tangs that would do fine in my tank. I am looking at the kole tang and any of the bristletooth tangs.

I would be adding this fish last.

If I can't get a tang, what other fish would work well for my set up?

My plan is too have a few small fish and 1 fish that got a little bigger than all the others.

My current livestock:
2 true perculas
1 green chromis
1 lawnmower blenny
2 wheeler gobies
1 hectors goby
1 sideline wrasse

2 cleaner shrimp
4 turbo snails
4 electric blue hermit crabs
8 assorted small hermit crabs

Here is a better description of my set up.

You have 8 fish in a 70 gallon tank. Most are going to say that you are at your stocking limit. Do you have a skimmer?
Tangs need long tank length for swimming to keep them stress and disease free. You are right that the bristletooth would be your best bet tang wise, but, in my opinion, a dwarf angel would be an even better option. Check out the flame angel. More exciting than a tang, no annoying algae sheets, and, they aren't ich magnets like a tang. Just my opinion :)

You know... You're only a few inches short of 4 feet. I think you'd be fine with a kole tang.

As for the angels, there is a 50/50 chance that the flame would nip at corals. No guarantee either way. For me, personally, they are such pretty fish that they are worth the risk. I had a coral beauty angel for years and it never caused problems. Both of those fish are 50/50 when it comes to munching on corals.

Yup yup. So pretty it is worth it. Seems that more often you hear of the coral beauty and the flame angel NOT eating corals. I am no expert but my flame angel is the star of my tank for sure, had him, what, 8-10 months? No coral issues.
A lot of people have had kole tangs that got very aggressive, a worry in a 70 gallon tank as well.

I think it varies critter to critter, my LFS has a coral beauty in one of their soft coral tanks, and it leaves them alone. I think keeping them fat and happy is the trick to keeping them off your corals.

Back