Tang question??

CDaubs

Reefing newb
When reading descriptions about various Tangs on dealers web sites they frequently state that only one should be kept in a tank. Are they meaning only one of that particular species or only one tang total??

I really like tangs and want to have several different ones. Can I?

Thanks,

Charlie

One of a particular species. You can usually keep Tangs of different types together. Exception is if they look too closely like one another. Like a Blue Powder Tang and a Brown Powder Tang will fight in the same tank.

The more different the tangs are, the more likely they'll get along with each other. For example, two different tangs in the genus Zebrasoma (like a yellow tang and a sailfin tang) will usually fight. So if you want to keep multiple tangs, you will have greater success if you choose tangs from different genuses.

In a 90 gallon tank I would stick with only one tang.Preferably one that stay relatively small-say under 7-10'' max when full grown.

+1 all of the above. In a 90gal, i would only keep 1 very small tang. When they get big, 90 gals will not suffice. They need alot of swimming space. I know it sucks, tangs are my fav fish to keep but im limited because of my tank size.

Back