tang ta-tang tang!

sicklids

salt water dummy
when i get the 120 up and running, what type of tang should i get? FOWLR, predator tank. i was thinking yellow tang....

thats what i mean, what is too big, and what is too small. this guy is going to be living with some alpha predators! volitan, snowflake eel, DF puffer, foxface rabbit fish, and a picasso trigger. oh, and 2 damsels that somehow stay away from the Lion.

If the 120 is a 4' tank, any of the ctenochaetus.sp are good - kole tang, bristletooth tang, Chevron tang, etc. A few of the zebrasoma.sp would be OK - yellow tang, purple tang, black tang.
Stay away from any tang that gets bigger than 12". Some of the ancanthurus.sp stay under 12", but they are either very aggressive or very active swimmers...or both. A 4' tank is not the ideal size tank for a tang.

Then in addition to that list, I would say a few of the smaller acanthurus.sp would be OK - Powder Blue tang, White Faced tang, Atlantic Blue tang

I would go with an atlantic blue or purple tang. All suggestions based on size sound great as far as guidelines to go off of. As far as acantharus tangs go definitely stay away from the sohal and clown tangs

a powder blue white cheek tang hybrid would look cool. i agree with alex about the atlantic blue. you could also go with a sailfin or a chevron, bristle tooth or a scopas tang

Sailfins get HUGE. 15" long and up to 10" in height with the fins expanded. Not a good choice IMO for that size tank.

True, they do end up getting big, but the ones iv seen are slow growers. It's one of my fav tangs which is why I suggested it. Plus in a 5' it would be good for quite a while. ;)

I think yellow and regal tangs are just too common looking. Kole tangs and desjardini sailfin tangs are cool looking, though (and it does take sailfins a long time to get big -- I've had a regular sailfin for a year now, and he's only about 2 to 3 inches across).

Last edited:
well, my tang come in today, i ordered a yellow tang...
...however...
...i got a sailfin tang, pacific. is they guy going to be too much? i only paid like $12 for him/her. neat little fish, took a liking to my foxface for some odd reason.

alright guys, give the stats on this booger. and please, dont send me a link, what i want to know is how they interact with other fish and you. personal experiences is my prefference. thanks!

foxfaces and tang get along well so that doesnt surprise me that he found a buddy. the one i had was really active and got along with everyone

well that makes sense then! are the sailfin tangs good algae consumers? i supplement the foxface with algae sheets, so i guess i should do the same with the tang seeing as how i dont have an algae problem anymore.

So if I understand correctly, you got the wrong tang than you expected or you got 2? Yellow and sailfin will not likely be good together being as they are both zebrasoma tangs. But I may have misunderstood your post

Back