Tang turning brown/black

I'm really sorry, but even if your fish is indeed a yellow tang and is experiencing some sort of disease process that is causing it turn brown, we still can't help you without a decent picture of that particular fish. I'm not trying to be mean about it, but I just don't know what else to say.

Yep, I agree with the others. Pictures of other yellow tangs doesn't help one bit. We need a picture of the one you say looks abnormal.

That said, there are white yellow tangs (someone on this site had one). It's just a variation from the normal color. It's not common, but it happens. If it is indeed a yellow tang and it's turning brown, I'd say there very well may be nothing wrong with it except it just has some odd coloration.

I also agree that it's possible it's a scopas tang. They look exactly like yellow tangs in body shape/size/structure, they just have a brownish tint to them.

Post a picture of THE tang you are asking about, and we can do better trying to figure this out.

Yep, I agree with the others. Pictures of other yellow tangs doesn't help one bit. We need a picture of the one you say looks abnormal.

That said, there are white yellow tangs (someone on this site had one). It's just a variation from the normal color. It's not common, but it happens. If it is indeed a yellow tang and it's turning brown, I'd say there very well may be nothing wrong with it except it just has some odd coloration.

I also agree that it's possible it's a scopas tang. They look exactly like yellow tangs in body shape/size/structure, they just have a brownish tint to them.

Post a picture of THE tang you are asking about, and we can do better trying to figure this out.

Back