Tangs

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
I REALLY want to get a tang for my 55gallon. I had a blue tang but his life was taken by my powerhead, R.I.P dorrie. Anywase, I now understand that most tangs will outgrow a 55 gallon aquarium. Is there any tang that would be alright in my 55? Maybe a yellow tang?

Thanks

According to Drs. Foster & Smith, the minimun tank size for a Yellow Tang would be 100 gallons. The smallest min. tank size for any Tang I've seen on that site is 70 gallons...Blue Tangs, Scopas Tangs, Convict Tangs, Kole Yellow Eye Tangs, and Bristletooth Tomini Tangs fall into this category. Everything else I've seen is 100+.

you'll be okay with the smaller size just be prepares to let go of it when it outgrows your tanks. the slowest grower i noticed is the scopas.

Thats when you find a good LFS that will let you trade your tang in when it gets to big. It will take a long time for it to outgrow your tank.

IF, big IF I were going to do a tang in a 55g, I would probably do a Kole Tang. They stay on the smaller side and are less aggressive than the yellow.

Back