Tank Bugs!!!

irensing

Controversial Reefer
I have a 29g bowfront packed with lots of soft corals (ricordia, hairy, purple, blue, & green mushrooms, green, star, & daisy polyps, various coralamporphs, some hammerhead, etc.) I made the mistake of coverting my tank to aggressive baby fish which have now gotten large and eaten all of my peaceful fish and crustaceans (toadfish, devilfish and speckled grouper). All the corals are doing well and multiplying rapidly. The fish are extremely happy despite the size of the tank. Since my conversion to aggressive fish (who love to eat crustaceans and smaller fish) the bugs in my tank are out of control. There are 100s of types of copepods and amphapods all over the glass, powerheads, filter, etc. I noticed today that I have some Red bugs (I figured they came from my phycopure or reef solution since these are the only things I add to my tank). I don't have any acrapora. Are the red bugs or other cops/amphs harmful to the soft corals? Everything has great extension and bright color and seems happy. Is there any symptoms to look for? Aside from dosing the tank can anyone recommend reef safe critters that will eat them with out getting eaten such as snails? Thank you.

I don't know of any pods that munch on soft corals.There are bad pods(isopods) that are fish predators though.They do sell live zooplankton,pods that are red,probably what you have since everything is doing good.

What is the aggressive fish?

Last edited:
your toadfish requires a minimum of an 180 gal and your grouper requires a minimum of a 70 gal tank....just letting you know.

but I have no idea about the bugs.

Last edited:
Back