tank cycle

Patzig

welp, that didn't work..
Hello,

I'm sure this type of question has been asked about a million times, but I guess the answer is different for everybody. Just started a 29g tank, put in live sand for a few days. Just now bought live rock from a guy who had tons of it ($3.50 a pound). I only live 10 minutes from this guy so the live rock (supposedly completely cured) was only out of water for maybe 15 minutes. The guy also said my cycle would only last about a week. Is this true? Thanks

The cycle length varies from tank to tank. Sometimes if you use live rock from an established tank (as you did), you won't see a cycle at all. But the average cycle length seems to be about 3 to 4 weeks. In some tanks, the cycle takes up to 2 months. You'll have to buy test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and test for those to track your cycle, if you haven't already. And don't add any animals until the cycle is finished.

+1 Biff You might have some die off on the rock, but it's not always the case. Definitely get a good test kit (not test strips)

Tanks cycle because there is dead stuff in there. I've brought rock home put it in the tank fast before anything died on the rock and did NOT see a cycle. I think the bacteria additives like Stresszyme help too.

Back