tank drain

bwaller76

Love my tanks!
ok so I am trying to figure out if my tank would be alright with one overflow or whether I should go for two. If it happens that one is ok then do I change the size or not? Just as a reminder 150 gallon 48 x 24 x 30...

ok well what position on the tank? I am sure that one on each side would be good but I am not sure that will be able to work.my second one would have to be at a 45 degree angle to get the pipe to where I would need it

I would go with two just for the mere fact that you don't ever want to rely on something with only one failure point as your complete plan to avoid flooding. Having 2 allows for the snails or algae that climb in and slow your overflows without flooding. You can put them both in the same overflow box if need be, but if you can put them at opposite sides of the tank it will be better for surface skimming.

Just clicked on your Lord of the Rings link. It took me 5 minutes to get off the floor and crawl back up into my chair to make this post. I haven't laughed like that in a couple months.

:Cheers: BRAVO!!!

2 overflows -- opposite corners - back wall

Use a 90 as soon as you come out of the bulk head and aim it where you want. That shouldn't take up more than about 4" of space.

Hmmm... I guess you had to see the long version to appreciate the short. Oh well. I'm not much into Fantasy flicks so I'm probably better off just watching the short :)

It's pretty funny. But if you've never seen the movies it won't be near as funny for you.

I had to watch it again. Still laughing!! :D

ok here we go... bear in mind this is very very basic and only meant to illustrate how I think I am going to be able to work the drain/return...give opinions !!!

sump.png

That's always been a good layout. Just make sure the sump is not shoved so far back under the stairs that you can't get at it for cleaning and maintenance.

If you give me the dimensions of the tank/stand/sump/stairs etc.. I can draw up a plan for you.

Tank size and dimensions? Sump size and dimensions? Overflows? Bulk heads? Return pump?

ok so now I am working on the placement of the drilled holes. I have a 40 gallon sump, I figure about 25-30 gallons in the sump during operation (if I am misconceived on this plz inform me). In a 150 gallon tank that is 30 inches 25 gallons evacuated would equal 5". I am assuming that this would be the level that my overflow box would no longer allow water to drain. If that is correct I also assume that the drilled hole would be slightly lower than the tooth threshold of the overflow? If so how much lower in the box would the hole be? or if I am retardedly wrong let me know

My overflow box is 8" tall. The top of the box is tight up against the top lip of the tank.

The center of my 60mm hole is around 4.5" down from the top. That puts my 1.5" bulk head almost centered vertically in the overflow box.

Video coming as soon as photbucket sorts it out..........

Last edited:
ok so now I am working on the placement of the drilled holes. I have a 40 gallon sump, I figure about 25-30 gallons in the sump during operation (if I am misconceived on this plz inform me). In a 150 gallon tank that is 30 inches 25 gallons evacuated would equal 5". I am assuming that this would be the level that my overflow box would no longer allow water to drain. If that is correct I also assume that the drilled hole would be slightly lower than the tooth threshold of the overflow? If so how much lower in the box would the hole be? or if I am retardedly wrong let me know

Probably 20-25g in the sump - but it'll depend on your baffle height. You can do the math by using a tank calculator. Figure out how high your baffles will be and then do the math to calculate gallons in each compartment.

Your tank water level is gonna run probably 1" below the very top. With the teeth in most overflow boxes at 1.25" deep -- you won't be draining down 5" of water when the pumps shut off. More like 1" or 2" at the very most.

The only risk with my setup is if the silicone fails and the overflow box detaches from the glass. It would be okay until the power went out. Then I'd have about 10g of water on the floor. :yikesu:

Hmmm... I guess you had to see the long version to appreciate the short. Oh well. I'm not much into Fantasy flicks so I'm probably better off just watching the short

Someone hasn't seen Lord of the Rings. :shock:

Guess no Avatar either?

ok so riddle me this...how do I figure on how much water I want to circulate as far as GPH...seems the overflow box size depends on that but I dont know how much to input.

Back