Tank isn't totally level - what do I do?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
So last weekend I noticed that the water level in the front of my tank looked a little closer to the top rim than in the back. Well I got a level today to double check it and it is indeed a little off front to back. Side to side is level, but the front of my tank is a bit higher than the back of my tank. The little bubble on the level is still mostly in the middle, but crosses a little over the line on one side. Is this close enough, or do I need to break my tank down?

If you can live with it being a little off, then it will be okay. If not, then you may want to shim the rear up a bit. If you have it on solid flooring, not carpet it should not be too difficult. If you are on carpet you will need to remove weight from the system in the form of water and live rock in order to lift the tank or stand to shim them.

Thanks Biff & Fast! I mostly concerned about whether the tank is safe more than appearence. It's such a small difference and not noticeable with the hood on my tank. I might shim it anyway just to be safe, but am glad to know that I don't need to rush it! The tank is on carpet, but its a very short office carpet that I am thinking I may be able to hammer shims under the tank without too much trouble. My friend looked at it yesterday and thinks it only needs to come up about 2mm, so I don't think it will take much at all to level it off. That said, I'll probably wait to do it when I do a good sized water change just so that there is less water in the tank.

correct me if I am wrong but 2mm is only around 1/16 of an ich. It wouldnt affect the integrity of the take whatsoever, If it is truly that I wouldnt bother trying to shim that little.. trying to get a shim in that small of area with any weight in the tank may be tough.. :D

My 125 is ever-so-slightly off as well, like yours. It's been up for a couple of years now, and never bothered fixing it.

Back