tank options

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
I am definately new to reefers so bear with me. Im going to be in the market for a new tank in the next couple months the local guy sells AllGlass brank 125s off the shelf for 235.00 which I dont think is terrible. Is this tank going to be too large to be managable for a rook, I tend to lean towards bigger is better. I know that this is an expensive hobby but I also live on a blue collar budget. can anyone give me and idea of what kind of cash Im going to have into getting a tank of this size size using new equiptment? Dont trust people well enough to buy secondhand.

well for a 12 gallon i spend 350 so far, and i only had it foe a week and a half, so im guessing its going to cost you around $1500 - $2500

Your lights and rock will be your biggest expense there.
Your looking at a 72" light fixture,so say at least 300 bucks for lights.
Your looking at least at 125lbs of rock at any where from 4 bucks a pound up to about 12 a pound depending on where you get it.
When I started my 55 last year,I had right at $1,000.00 in just the lights,skimmer,and rock.
But that size tank is perfect for a newby.You'll be wanting to bigger after just a month or so any way.Luckly getting it started is the most expensive.

Ive got around 2000 into my 50 gallon, but the initial setup is the expensive part. Lights and rock are the worst on the pocket... Figure for good lights to spend around 600$ for a 72" long tank. and rock at 6.50 a pound is average. (1-2 lbs per gallon) Also, I would get a drilled tank right away, you will want to get a new one in a few months if you dont get a drilled tank. Its not that much more expensive for the luxury of having a very nice simply overflow system...

You have a lot to work with stocking wise with a set up of that size.If it takes longer to get wet because of cost...so be it.I would go for it!I agree that lights and live rock will be your biggest expense.

72" lights are expensive. It's good to start out with a big tank, but I would hate to see someone overwhelmed by startup costs and be turned off from the hobby because they picked a tank that was TOO BIG to start off with.

The skimmer for my tank was $600 (but my tank is still twice the size of the one you're thinking of). Prices go up REALLY HIGH once you hit six foot long tanks... A 125 is a good sized tank to start off with, if you can afford the equipment for it. The good thing is, most equipment you can buy gradually and take time to save up for it. You don't need fancy lights right away.

i figure that after my winter furlough<layoff in non-railroad world> and catching up with past due bills, unemployment blows, i should have about 150 a week in usable cash so Im prolly looking at june, I def want to purchase some hardware when I can so that I can buffer the sticker shock when it comes to my girl. Shes way into having my tanks just as long as I dont show her any reciepts and absolutely nothing goes on plastic.

I started with a 55 and upgraded after a year because it wasn't big enough. So I wasted a lot of money because I had to re buy everything. So if I was you I would go with the big tank with sump. Get it reef ready. Like everyone said above lights are expensive. Plus the live rock and a good skimmer is a must.

5/3 bank has a goal setters' savings account right now... You set an amount you want to save, you get a decent interest rate, and if you keep the money in for 6 months plus reach your goal, they double the amount of interest you earned as a bonus. It might be helpful for saving up the money. (That's how I'm paying for my cruise this fall!!) So far I have learned that patience is the most valuable thing in this hobby, and it sounds like you have that under control.

my one tidbit of advice, get drilled for your overflow! So much more peace of mind. My DH and I had to drain everything and start over because we made this decision too late! Just make sure to explore your options and look at your long term goals for what you want to have eventually. Sometimes investing in the more expensive equipment is worth it, if you know you are going to need it later anyway.

If you are trusting of other reefers look in the buy/sell on reef central for used equipment. You can get some great stuff for alot cheaper. When I first started I tried to save money, and I have rebought every piece of equipment I own. Everything is used from local reefers and works way better than new crap.

If someone were to buy a 72" tank, would it be more cost effective for a new to purchase 2 36" lights over one 72"? I was kind of thinking of going to a 72" and buying a second nova extreme

if you have a tank with a canopy. you can get some retrofit lights and save a lot of money. coralife has a metal halide pc combo for around 500 bucks.

Yesterday 09:46 PM Melonbob If someone were to buy a 72" tank, would it be more cost effective for a new to purchase 2 36" lights over one 72"? I was kind of thinking of going to a 72" and buying a second nova extreme
alot of times 2 36'' lights cost the same as a 72 '' and don't put out the same wattage

Back