Tank Suggestion

blando

Reefing newb
Was looking and i can get a brand new 65 gallon tank with over flow already installed.. Or i was looking on craigslist saw a 120 gallon tank no scratches and i think still avail if so which one would you get? Also the 120 does not have over flow so i would need to buy an overflow box

A 65 gallon tank seems big until you start trying to stock it. Then you find out that the majority of tangs are off limits. :D

Sounds like you truly want the 65gal and you're trying to convince us to convince you to get it. The 65 gal isn't a bad choice, especially being reef ready, but it isn't a standard size tank and finding equipment could be a lil complicated...but the 120 will take more to to fill but will give you more stable parameters, and since it's a standard size tank, it'll be easier to find equipment for it. Although bigger is better, you have to go with what you have the room and finances for. Although I have had both, I still personally prefer the smaller tanks vs the larger tanks, so I understand if you go with the 65gal. :)

Also depends on where its going...
I wanted a 90 for my man cave, then I realized I could probably fit a 200+ where I wanted to put it... so my Fiance decided she wanted a tank in the dining room... the 65 fits PERFECTLY... I mean it looks like it belongs there, any larger wouldn't have even fit where she wanted it, it would have obstructed the path to the kitchen.

Make sure you have your space planned out.

The more water volume the better, but keep in mind, lighting for a 6 foot reef tank is not cheap.

I also agree with what Sarah said, a 65 sounds huge until you sit down and look at a stocking list. There are all kinds of things that you could stock in a 120 that wouldn't work in a 65. It is important to note though, if it's only a 4 foot 120 (I think they're deeper than the 125) I'd still say most tangs are off limits, they need that 6 feet of length. If you aren't in a hurry, watch craigslist for a while, I am sure a reef ready 125 will show up, I see them pretty regularly on my local craigslist

Get thanks to everyone and suggestions.. I think i will go with 65 already comes with over flow and i think be nice in the office.

I say go with the 65. That is a LOT of space and more than most people really need. It's already drilled and has built-ins and it will be a LOT cheaper equipment-wise.

Don't get me wrong, 100+gal tanks are always nice to look at but I would never want to increase the cost or workload that much. I think 55 would be the biggest I would personally go.

Yea im going to get the 65. I wouldn't get a 55 i had one and didn't like it. To narrow so when u put live rock in it, it is basically going straight up and no room in the front

65 gallon tank 80$? does not have the over flow alreday built in it... or brand new with overflow box for 240ish? Whats your Opinion

he still has the 55 gallon tank but just feel like 55 is harder to deal with on liverock because its not as wide.

Back