Tank Update Including CUC Finally!

Robb

Reefing newb
Hey So I finally went out and got myself a small clean up crew. I really appreciate the help you have given me along the way, and as a result I believe my choices for the CUC were fairly good choices. I have 2 Turban Snails, 1 Bumble Bee Snail, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 Anemone Crab. I didn't want to overcrowd the tank, so I kept it pretty simple. My next plans include adding 2 Clown Fish. I have decided to skip the Coral for now and wait until I decide if I am getting a larger tank in the next couple months. I was considering adding some kind of anemone but I am unable to find any that can fit in a 14G. Any suggestions welcome as well as any feedback on the current CUC.

Rob

PS Pics coming shortly, camera is broken... Long Story!

Have you thought about nassarius snails, i think they are the coolest, it looks like night of the living dead when they come out at feeding time. Plus they stir the sand bed.

By the way, which stores are you using in Calgary?

yeah I was going to grab 2 of them but they were sold out, he recommended the turban snails instead. Maybe I will pick one or two up when they get a shipment in though. thanks for the feedback I appreciate it!

Robb

It depends I use Big Als for the Cleaner shrimp but got the snails and crab from Pisces in the NE, do you know of any better stores?

Thanks!

Robb

I was impressed with Red Coral Aquarium in the NW, and they usually have really good sales on, for instance October they had cleaner and peppermint shrimp for 15 bucks. They have several tanks dedicated to coral frags if you decide to go that route.
I usually use Big Al's for dry supplies because their prices for livestock are a little too high. I've heard good reviews of Wai's aquarium but I've never been there. I think he's got a lot of inverts.
The closest one to me since I live in the SW is Elite Aquatics. The owner, Colby, is really nice and remembers you and what you have in your tank.

Definitely get some nassarius snails they are one of the best things for you substrate. I would recommend three or four of them.

I am up in the NW myself, so it would make sense to check out Red Coral, If you don't mind can you PM me the address? Big Als had the cleaners for 14.99 as well but peppermints are 20, Pisces has ok prices, but they have really knowledgeable staff that's what I enjoyed the most about them. Plus I shop there for my tarantulas as well so it is pretty conveniant as well.

Thanks for the info!

Robb

Ok I will get some tomorrow if they have them in yet or maybe check out some other stores in the area. Thanks again for the info!

Rob,I dont of any anemones that would be good for a 14.All the common anemones would be big enough to endanger any fish you add later on.

That is what I was afraid of! No worries, I will probably transfer the anemone crab into the larger tank once I get it, and can add an Anemone to that tank instead. Maybe I will add some Coral to this tank after all. Either way that is a month or two away at the very least. The next step will be adding the fish. Thanks again for the feedback, this site has been a huge help!

Robb

I wouldn't recommend adding any anemones until your tank has been set up for about a year or so. They rarely survive in new tanks, and are difficult animals to keep -- much harder than corals.

Thats good to know! I grabbed 3 Nass Snails this afternoon so that should help out the substrate mix it around a little. Thanks for the info again to everyone. Also I got the Nass Snails at Red Coral and really liked the owner. I ended up staying for like an hour just talking to the guy,

Robb

So I have finally added some fish to my tank! I went to the store yesterday and got two Misbar Clown Fish. My tank looks so much better with a couple fish in it... now I am not just staring at cleaner shrimp running around. I also got a couple Nass. Snails the other day, they are pretty cool. I like how active they become during feeding time. I will post some pics tonight... it is really hard to get good pics of the clowns as they are always moving!

The only other concern I had was the Algae Growth, it seems to be really high... is this normal or am I doing somethign wrong? All my levels are still perfect as of last night. any idea why this could be? I am basically cleaning off the tank walls once a day it gets pretty bad.

Thanks

Robb

That algae is completely normal in a new tank.Just keep up with your water changes and it'll eventually calm down some.

Good to hear you got fish in there to.Congrats.:D
Now where are the pics?

unfortunately they are on my home computer, I am at work right now and forgot to transfer them to my photobucket account. The pics are pretty bad but hopefully they do a sight justice. I will post them as soon as I get home!

Robb

That's awesome to hear that the tank is coming along. I've only been to Red Coral once but will definately go again. I love the frag tanks, so many beautiful corals to choose from.

Algae blooms always seem like a set back but that's just the normal cycle of a new tank.

Here are some of the pics as promised sorry for the poor quality!

DSCF1833.jpg

DSCF1840.jpg

This is the before pic of about a month ago, and the next is of the same rock but covered in Algae.

DSCF1788.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

Sorry for the wait!

Robb

Back