tank

Scots_art

Reefing newb
I am wanting to start a project that wont be completed until next year some time.

So what is the project i hear you ask lol ,,,

i am wanting to set up a tank for a pair of seahorses .

I know they require taller tanks than wider tanks , Here in the UK it is the general advice the tank must be 3 x the hight of an adult seahorse.

the tank i am looking at size wise is 24 inches x 15 inches x 12 inches.
I have contacted several companies in the UK for prices and OUCH i think i have had several heart attacks in the past 48 hours as companies get back to me.

i will give the UK price first and in brackets will be the US dollars equiv ( straight exchange )

£ 200 ----------- ( $301 )
£498 ------------- ( $ 750 )
£700 ------------- ( $ 1,130 )

Now no way in hell should such a small tank cost so bloody much ...

i can buy a tank from a store in the size i want but for it to work the way i need it to , i will need to remove one of the ends , get a sheet of glass cut to size and silicone that in what was the open top . so i can then stand it up right.

is this possible to do without being a risk of the tank braking ?

this is what i am wanting
tank-2.jpg

There are 2 standard tank dimensions that are close to what you want.

30 gallon tall - 24x12x22(h)
30 gallon stnd - 30x12x18(h)

You may also think about a 65 gallon standard 36x18x24(h).
There a also hex tanks that are quite tall.

I have been thinking about a seahorse/gorgonian/nps tank but haven't gotten around to it as i have just too many projects on the go. I was thinking a 65 gallon tank and i have a crazy idea for a layout and continous feed and integrated skimming.

I'm no expert on seahorses by any means but I have seen people raise them in 20 gallon long tanks (successfully).

Unless youyou require a very specific dimension - i would highly recommend a standard tank. Not sure what you are trying to achieve with those dimensions - maybe you can explain.

If you must go custom - I think its a bad idea to try to stand up a standard tank - cutting glass is no easy task. The quotes you got - are they from custom tank manufacturers? Quite often your LFS can refer somebody who does this on a regular basis.

sorry we do not have standard lengths in the UK apart from 15" in depth. and it is basically seen as cruelty if they are kept in shallow tanks and the seahorse breeder will not sell any of there stock unless you match there requirements of a tank 3x the hight of the eventual adult size of the species you are buying.

my local fish shop do not make tanks and nor do they provide details of tank builders as they are not that kind of store . they are only interested in helping if you are spending money with them for the goods they sell , as it is not really an aquatic store , it is a garden centre we have in the UK who simply have aquatics as a side line tucked into the corner of there stores.

the size i have given is based on the UK sizes we can buy off the shelf of "" standard tanks "" . the tank size smaller is very shallow of just 1 ft which would leave almost zero room for the seahorse to swim upwards . it would only leave 5" of water above the head of the adults .
and the space i have also impacts on the tank.

yes they sell in the UK , but i do not use ebay / Paypal after an incident several years back that caused my banks head office to contact me asking for my permission to close my account down for my own security.

and the stores that sell Aquaone local to me charge 6x more than anywhere else. and sadly not many companies will offer delivery of aquariums.

Back