TankProblems, Pics inside

AlwaysImproving

Reefing newb
Already posted before what is going on with my tank but alot of things are turning white (like icing on a cake) In addition to that my rock is changing colors to more deep purples and some green spots are now appearing. Here are alot of pictures that can hopefully help. I just measured the ammonia and its hard to get an accurate reading because im testing with the "yellow dot" but im guessing its between .25-.35. It was pretty green but not blue at all.

Attachments

• fishtank1.jpg
    fishtank1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 306
  • liverock.jpg
    liverock.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 283
  • rocks.jpg
    rocks.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 268
  • Bigrock.jpg
    Bigrock.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 292
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 264
What is that green little bubble growing on the rock...

In the middle picture it shows just how much "coating" has happened. That was a normal rock and it is now has a pretty thick coating covering all of it. The big white spot in the first one is hard to tell because of bad picture quality but it is alot also.

In the thrid picture that shell resting on the rock is a crab. Don't know if that will have any effect on anything.

Attachments

• rocks.jpg
    rocks.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 260
  • whitecoating.jpg
    whitecoating.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 264
  • whitecoating2.jpg
    whitecoating2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Here is the green bubble, also in the other pic you can see the rock turning green in a little spot.

Attachments

• greenspot.jpg
    greenspot.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 303
  • greenbubble.jpg
    greenbubble.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 259
Not sure if its just me, but I dont see the "green bubble" in any of the pics. Either way, it's probably either green bubble algae, which looks like a shiny green marble, or just green coraline algae. Coraline is good. If it's green bubble then you want to get rid of it. you can just carefully pull it off the rock and throw it away. Don't break the bubble though. If it breaks, it releases spores that will all lead to new bubbles. Emerald crabs will eat green bubble algae should it become too big of a problem for you to manage on your own. As far as the other color changes its just the normal coraline algae starting to grow. The white coating is die off on the rocks. That is what is causing the ammonia spike. It's normal. Last thought: You need to get a test kit. The yellow dot is not an effective way to get an accurate reading, and your water parameters are too important to short cut this. Go get a marine test kit that will allow you to check for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates as a minimum. KH, Calcium, Phosphates, and Magnesium are all good to be able to test for later, after you start stocking. API, Kent, and Seachem all make decent kits. Good Luck

I have a seachem kit that tests most of the things mentioned but it came with dots for the ammonia part. Alkilinity, nitrate, nitrates, ph, and two other things. I tested all of these and checked with a trusted fish store and they said everything is pretty much normal but the ammonia. I guess the corals are gonna die, am I better off just taking them out and throwing them away then taking a risk leaving them in there? Transfering them to another tank isn't a possibility but I picked up the 4 corals for 25 bucks so its not too big of a deal. The green bubble is very visible in the picture labeled green bubble but I will dispose of it until I can get a cleaner crew in there first...Thanks for help

How long has this tank been setup? To me, it looks like a tank that was setup maybe 2 weeks ago. The white coating looks like die off. Was this uncured live rock? I see a few dead corals too with the white substance. That also looks like die off.

that is bubble algae just take that dead coral skeleton out and pull the algae off and then rinse it under water for awhile.

I have a seachem kit that tests most of the things mentioned but it came with dots for the ammonia part. Alkilinity, nitrate, nitrates, ph, and two other things. I tested all of these and checked with a trusted fish store and they said everything is pretty much normal but the ammonia. I guess the corals are gonna die, am I better off just taking them out and throwing them away then taking a risk leaving them in there? Transfering them to another tank isn't a possibility but I picked up the 4 corals for 25 bucks so its not too big of a deal. The green bubble is very visible in the picture labeled green bubble but I will dispose of it until I can get a cleaner crew in there first...Thanks for help
Your tank is cycling. If you are still reading ammonia, then you have a long way to go. After ammonia, you will start reading nitrites and then nitrates. only after all three read 0 should you put any livestock in the tank. You are killing those corals. You need to get them back to the LFS ASAP. It's the responsible thing to do. Do your research as you proceed. You can save yourself a lot of trouble and heartache by understanding the decisions you make before you make them.

Back