tell me if im missing anything

Satyr

Reefing newb
im thinking about getting a SW tank again, and if i can afford it i think i will this time. so iv been reading and researching and going back over my old posts and i think iv got it worked out quite nicely. tell me if im missing anything or what not with this plan.

i want some corals but im not planning on getting any right away (unless they come in on my uncured live rock... if thats what i get) so i have left out info pertaining to them.

The Plan:

Invertebrates
-3 astraea snails
-3 nassarius snails
-1 blue leg hermit crab
-1 coral banded shrimp
Fish
-pick 1: yellow watchman goby, clown fish, six line wrasse, firefish, banded opossum wrasse
Equipment
-10 gallon tank
-Filter
-Filter padding (may be included with filter)
-Lighting
-Lid
-Heater
-Thermometer
-Live rock
-Live sand
-Water test kit
-Siphon tube
-Water change bucket
-Marine salt mix
-Hydrometer
-Storage container for RO water for topping off and mixing with marine salt for water changes
Maintenance (not including cycle)
-top off throughout week (or weeks) as needed with RO water
-10% water change if on a weekly basis
-15% - 20% water change if on bi-weekly basis
-Clean out filter media every water change and change filter media once every 2 months
-Feed fish (routine depends on the fish(es) present)
-Lighting schedule: auto timer set to come on at 8 A.M. and go off at 8 P.M.

seems like two many fish for a ten gallon tank
with so many packed into such a small space not only will you have proplems with your bioload, but i think you will run into problems with fish becoming territorial because of lack of space to call their own

equipment seems ok

i would go for more hermits or more snails (some people dont like hermits) i dont think 1 blueleg will do much for you

also "clownfish" is a pretty broad word, ive seen some clowns that would outgrow a 10 gallon in no time. im assuming you mean a false perc and not a tomato clown or one of the bigger species

seems like you have things pretty well planned out , but i would re-think the tank size:twocents:

I'd ditch the coral banded shrimp.It could make a snack out of your fish.Also dont worry about the lid.Your tank will be able to breath better which will help with gas exchange and oxygenation.

Also the lights can be cut down to around 8 hours...If you do it for 12 hours alge will love it.

+1 zoot- definitely go for the largest aquarium you can afford.

great feedback guys, thanks!

- fish; i was just gona pick one, not all. right now im leaning towards the yellow watchman goby. "clownfish", i should have specified, i was thinking of stuff like the false percula or a black oscelarous. right, no tomato clown.

- lighting at only 8 hours, got it, i can do that. and as for the lid, i was going after that because i dont want the fish jumping out but i can make a screen lid for ventilation just as easily. thanks for the warning, i didnt think it would be that big of a deal. :)

- im so glad you said get more hermit crabs. i love blue legs and i was wanting more but i thought it would be too much. dont really like the snails at all though, just getting them cause im thinking i will need them.

- iv looked at the biocube systems and iv seen a real pretty set up with one but i have a friend that works at a lfs and they have complete 10 gallon nano SW kits for $150. id love to have the 29 gallon but i cant afford it at this time. thanks for the tip though.

- i can ditch the coral banded shrimp. the fish will be the main center of attraction so that wolnt be too much of a problem. i was thinking coral banded because of its size and i think its pretty. i read that yellow watchman gobies might eat small ornamental shrimp when full grown, which lead me to go after somehting larger. what id really like to get in the field of shrimp is a troop of sexy shrimp.

I would stick with what you can afford with the way the economy is. You'll just have to be sure to watch your parameters closer. Also I would go with a few shrimp. Someone on here has them sexy shrimp can't remember who. Looks like you put a lot of thought into what you'll need. That's the key do lots of research and take it nice and slow.

snails are good for cleanup on your glass, i prefer the margarita snails, they are cheaper and i think they do a great job

i prefer hermits also, snails dont stand a chance in my carnivore tank, my puffer consumes them without prejudice

in my reef tank i have tons of snails and less hermits

one fish is good, you can always fill out with inverts, skunk cleaner shrimp are cool and amusing

One or two small fish would be fine, and I also suggest getting rid of the coral banded shrimp. They are known to eat other animals. Look into sexy, blood, peppermint or cleaner shrimp instead.

I would think trading out the filter for a small protien skimmer would make a big difference, but I could be wrong i'm still new at this...

A nice group os sexy shrimps would be perfect for a nano.I have five using a torch for protection.I've never heard of a watchmen going after them,I suppose the possibility is there.

i found a lfs that sells cured figi LR for $4 a lb. it sounds too good to be true cause most places sell it for $7. could there be something about it i should know? in other words are there types of LR that are different from others? i know about uncured, and i know about aquacultured, but im just wondering if there is some spesific characteristic that might not have been mentioned about them that the guy left out just cause he wants to make a sale. the owner seems nice enough but i just want to make sure, especially since this will be my first SW tank and i dont want to make any mistakes. what do you guys think? (the thought has crossed my mind that it is marketing strategy to get ppl into the store inthe hopes that if they buy lR because its such a good deal they will end up buying other thing as well... this might be true since its a fairly new store and needs to build a good customer base.)

I know pricing on certain things fluctuates due to diplomatic situations. I'm not sure if Fiji rock falls under this type of thing but maybe he just got a really good deal on this batch of LR. I'd be all over it :) As far as shrimp go I'd look into fire shrimp i think they're peaceful and they're really beautiful imo.

Last edited:
if you want a bigger tank than a 10 gallon for a cheap price i would say go on craigslist and type in fish tanks...i have seen some good deals with everything included for really cheap..my buddy got a 120 gallon with hood, stand filter, live rock and sand for about 250...just to let you know

Back