Temp question

aveda6

Newbie Reef
So, it's been a while since i've posted. I'm letting everything settle down and acclimate. I have a 29 gallon biocube with metal halide lights. The current occupancy of the tank is a bristle-star, two clowns, a lawnmower blenny, a firefish, a clam and various crabs and snails. I also have a bubble-tip anemone that is splitting into two. It's been fun to watch. I think it will complete the split soon (it's almost there).

Anyway, my question is heat. With the pumps and metal halide bulb I've been struggling with heat. I broke down and bought a nano-chiller as I really don't want to ever worry about the temp. In my past life I had a tradewind drop-in chiller that worked great on a 60 gallon tank. What does everyone run their system at? I've seen wide ranges and cannot seem to get a good answer. I've been running at 80 with my current issues spiking up to 84-86(and yes I know that is too hot). The chiller should arrive next week and I want to make sure I set it properly, plus I want to be able to run the variable pump that I have and with the current temps that is not possible.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

jim

I have a biocube 29 too, When it got really hot this summer, I just opened the front opening part, and the back where the filter stuff is. If it was really really hot, I would put a fan blowing on the open parts. I didn't have the MHs though, and I know they put out alot of heat. Maybe the chiller is the best option.... :dunno:

Got the Biocube and I have too many over-heating problems. If I run a small fan and turn on the A/C when the ambient temperature gets to arounf 85 the tank temp will stay stable. But you need a good 150 watt heater so the tank cannot over-cool. I recently took my fan off thinking I'd seen the last of the hot weather and then it went to 80F outside and my tank, with the MH on, went to 85F ! Ouch. I have not needed a chiller. Most tropical coral reefs around the world are at 82F+ but some fish and inverts like it cooler. Remember it it is the temp spikes that are bad and not so much the high temps.

I use this:

Fluorescent Terrarium Lighting and Cage Accessories: Azoo Cooling Fans at Drs. Foster and Smith

My tank stays right at 78*. But I got my controller set to turn the heaters on at 77.5 and the the fan if it gets to 78.5.
But like Sen said.Stability is the key.

With my biocube I keep my 150W heater at 76, the AC at my house has to be at 70 or lower, and the ceiling fan in the room with the tank has to be on in order to keep the tank between 76 and 82. Unless the temp outside is less than 85 which is pretty rare in houston. I like my house cool so that has worked good for me so far except for putting my electric bill on the outrageous side in the mid summer. As for the optimum temp, I would say 77-78.

thank you very much...the temp has dropped to a slightly less balmy 80 but that seems to be as low as I can go for now. The fish seem okay and the leather coral has been okay for now...i have ordered a very small chiller to at least keep the high temps in check...we'll see if that makes a difference...at the best I can at least put in a better HQ bulb and have decent lighting without worrying about the heat generated....

80 is totally fine, as long as you can keep it steady. Like I said my tank is 79-80 all year long.

Thank you all for the responses. The temps have been swinging a bit more than I would like. I have turned off the spare pump and changed the bulb for now. The temp has steadied down to 80. I have a small chiller on the way that should allow me to keep things steady.

Back