Tentacles Sticking Out From Snail

Bredfan

Reefing newb
Hi -

One of my two turbos has something weird on him (I think). I watched him as he stuck on the back of the aquarium - there were light colored tentacles emerging from out from under his shell. If his head was at 12 o'clock, there were tentacles coming out from 9:00 all the way around to 3:00. There were at least 6 of these sticking out.

As I watched, the tentacles came farther out - all together - to about 3/4 inch. Then, all at once, they retracted.

Then the snail did something really weird - it's shell turned back and forth about a 1/4 turn really fast. It went back and forth about 3 times, then stopped.

So... What are these tentacles? Are they normal part of snail anatomy? Something else?

Since I only have one fish for now while I let my tank settle, I'm spending lots of time just watching it and seeing all kinds of cool things....

He's in a terrible place to get a picture, but I did manage to get one pic of this: In the following pic, I'm looking down into the tank from the top. At the bottom of the photo is the snail's head - you can see his black antennae things. On the top side, you can barely see a small group of what looks like hairs sticking out. I've seen these about 3-4 times as long, as spaced pretty evenly coming out from under the shell. I waited with my camera for about 15 minutes - this was the best shot I got.

So, normal snail body? Or something else?

snailtentacles.JPG

Cool. I looked and looked and could not find any pics online of these things - or any mention of them. I guess I didn't look hard enough... :-)

Back