They're here!!!!!

They look great! You may want to buy some frozen cyclopeeze from your LFS to see if they take to eating that. It may also help to turn off your pumps and stuff during feeding time since they are usually such slow eaters.

They are so cute. Great color. I would also try mysis shrimp my sisters horses eat it like crazy along with cyclopseeze.

They are so cute. Great color. I would also try mysis shrimp my sisters horses eat it like crazy along with cyclopseeze.

I've offered them frozen mysis shrimp and they didn't want that. They spend all their time hitched to things looking intently, like they're fishing. I don't really see them finding much of whatever they are looking for. My LFS guy has freeze-dried cyclopeez and I'll get that today. I added more pods, can't think of anything else to do. I'm so in love with these little horsies! Fascinating creatures to watch.

your daughter and i have something in common, i also LOVE greek mithology... im hoping to do a semester abroad in Greece

those are BEAUTIFUL horses! Keep us posted, I sure hope they start eating soon. Live stuff like the pods you are supplying and mysis/brine soaked in garlic extract will be your best bet. COOL!

once you get your live brine remember to gut load them for atleast 12 hours before offering them to your horses

Gut load? Please tell me I don't have to kill these things! What does that mean??????? They should be here tomorrow. I read an article about making a feeding trough for them and only feeding twice a day. Every now and then they take a bite of something, I hope that's enough. They hang on to stuff and look just like a bird fishing. I love when they cuddle together. So coool!

gut load just means they have been feed food that will be nutritious to the sea horses since brine shrimp arent nutritious to fish. just feed them some selcon or something like that

mmmmm, I've got flakes? I've also got frozen brine and mysis shrimp? Think the flakes will do?

thanks, Catherine

My daughter just corrected me. Pegasus was born when the blood of the severed head of Medusa (who was pregnant by Poseidon at the time of her demise), anyway, when the blood was spilled into the sea, Pegasus sprang forth from the waves. Pegasus was also the steed of Bellaraphon when he killed the Cimera and became Zeus' own mount later. My daughter has a thing for Greek mythology, can you tell? She's rolling her eyes at me because she had to explain this. Oh, to be sixteen and know everything......

Sadly Catherine, we are no longer young enough to know everything! Fantastic looking horses, good luck with them :D

Grrrrrr, I just put a frozen cyclops thing in and both the horses ignored them. They kept staring intently at the rocks looking for whatever it is they are looking for. I haven't seen them really eat and that's worrying me. I've got these live brine shrimp and I have no idea how to feed it to them. I turned off all the pumps and put a couple of tablespoons into the tank. Is there a better way? Oh, and how do you keep these brine shrimp alive?

thanks,
catherine

It may take a while to get them to eatting the brine.But I'll bet their feeding on the pods in your tank,even if it dont look like it.

YEAH, I saw them eat some of the brine shrimp! I guess I've got to do live feeds with these guys. The shrimp weren't "gut loaded" but at least they ate something. I'm going to the LFS to see what I've got to do to make the shrimp nutritious. On a side note, these seahorses are pathetic fisherman. They are so slow! The shrimp practically had to swim into their mouth. sad. Just like babies, they better be glad they're so cute because I don't think anyone would put up with them if they weren't.

AWESOME!!! I found a place in Hawaii that is dedicated to seahorses. Their seahorses are unreal expensive but they've got this nutritional supplement that looks interesting.

So, if I get some brine shrimp eggs:

http://seahorse.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=85

and then get the brine shrimp hatcher thing. Mix it with this stuff:

http://seahorse.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=7

then train the horses to look for their food where the shrimps swim out, then I'll have it made, right? I am so in love with these little guys! I'd do anything for them!

Catherine

I dont see why that wouldnt work.
Another thing will help.Give the tank a bit of DTs live phytoplankton about once a week.That'll help the smaller copepods to multiply which will give the horses more natural foods.

What did they feed them from the place where you got them? All the ones my sister got eats mysis shrimp and brine. She has one of them brine hatching things. So she always has live ones available. They do get soaked in something but can't remember the name of the stuff.

Back