Thinking about an anemone...

After a little while when its fully grabbed onto the tonga branch and substrate and opens up Ill take some more pics. The other day when I was in there he was getting it out from under a rock it was fully opened and it was much larger than it is now. I tried finding a good spot where it will get full straight on light and hopefully it will be happy wedging up under that tonga branch.

I just read a thread on getting clowns to host an anemone, I know its early, to hope for that, but I'm just trying to see if there are any tricks to it. On another forum some one recommends a picture of similar type clown fish and a similar anemone taped to the tank... lol seems funny to me.

Does anyone have a good pic of a percula clown in a whitish anemone? I'm having a harder time than expected finding one on google images. Ill slap up a pic on the corner they always chill in and start conditioning them.
I was reading more on reefs.org an article about anemones, they say the sebae is the easiest anemone that percs will host in and once its acclimated if it makes it is fairly hardy. So thats got my spirits up and feeling like this en devour could be more successful.

Looks great, Cory. Good luck with it.

You can take a magazine pic of your clowns and tape it to the glass in front of the anemone, you don't need to have a picture of the anemone also.

I ended up finding one online and printing it out and posting it in the corner they are almost always in, go figure, they are on the opposite side of the tank all night then? Lights are going to go out soon (I think, thanks daylight savings time) and I'll see where they head to...
So the picture doesnt have to be of a clown in an anemone? it just have to be a picture of a clown and put it on the front of my tank about where the anemone is?

Last edited:
I have to agree with piggy. I keep hearing that anemone need mature tanks and 7 month is not a mature tank - at least IMHO.

I dont understand why he can make that exception...so can i consider my tank mature?

We all make our own choices cthegame, doesnt always make them right or wrong. We are all hoping Cory's gamble works out for him.

Oh yeah, by all "common sense" in the aquarium world based on a popular consensus of the forums what is acceptable for a mature tank and an appropriate addition to my tank, the sebae anemone was a bad choice. But by other readings it doesn't appear to be as bad as every one makes it out to be.
Reefs.org: Where Reefkeeping Begins on the Internet - View Document
I know it's only one persons opinion, but I guess I am a risk taker...
If the old moron at the LFS can keep one alive until its roughly twice the size of a dinner plate under fluorescent bulbs the size of standard industrial bulbs over a 180 for 2+ years I don't see why I can't do it.

There was another experiment on the forums with a certain doctor adding a certain moorish idol that was supposed to be next to impossible... We all have our certain risks we take in the hobby.

We all make our own choices cthegame, doesnt always make them right or wrong. We are all hoping Cory's gamble works out for him.

Well its just that i never knew 7 months was ok for an anemone...i keep hearing about how fragile they are and how non-mature systems will eventually cause that anemone to die...

Im assuming however, 7 months is probably borderline mature...oh i dont know. who am i kidding...I'm just probably being too conservative.

Last edited:
Good luck with it. It looks pretty healthy. Don't worry about finding a spot for it that you like. It will go where it finds a spot it likes with good current and light.
Dunno about that pic thing...lol. Do clowns read the stock market too? FWIW, I had a mated pair of skunk clowns (sold them) and mated pair of clarkii's in my sebae. Perc's wanted no part of it.

Well its just that i never knew 7 months was ok for an anemone...i keep hearing about how fragile they are and how non-mature systems will eventually cause that anemone to die...

Im assuming however, 7 months is probably borderline mature...oh i dont know. who am i kidding...I'm just probably being too conservative.

Consevative isnt a bad thing!:mrgreen: They just arent a good choice for every tank, Cory's going to try it out and Im hoping for the best.

When I got up for class this morning I checked out the anemone first thing with the lights off, its all open and looking amazing. I think its used to waking up before noon, thats why its all opened up and looking bigger already. What is the best food? I have silver sides, but I'm getting really sick of them. They are like... half blended? partially whole silversides with guts and bones strewn about the bag, and they smell horrible!! I was gagging the other day when trying to rinse them off and get some out, even though they have been frozen the whole time.
I know some people say to rotate what you feed just to keep it diverse, are raw table shrimp any good nutrition wise? Or does it have to be vitamin enriched? What brand silver sides do you guys recommend? I got some from petco cause it was the easiest place to find them with out going to fosters and smith.

Go to the grocery store and pick up bag of frozen scallops. They don't stink (much) and are easy to cut into small pieces. You can also use squid, my LFS and Petco and Petsmart all sell packs of frozen squid.

Hmm, sounds like a plan to me, Ill use up these disgusting silver side(guts/bones) and get some squid, we used to use that for fishing and it was easy to work with. Are all those things as healthy as normal "fish food" quality stuff?

That's what frozen fish food is made out of. Read the labels on any commercially prepared frozen fish food. It's a mix of mushed up seafood like shrimp, scallops, squid and oysters.

If these false percs never take to the anemone im going to be so pissed at them. Before I give up I'll have pictures of clowns in anemones covering every visible part of the tank glass for them to see and wonder whats wrong with them selves... so far they have shown no interest in it and its opened up quite a bit now.

Quick question, are the pulsing xenia poisonous?? my sebae was trying to get up on a rock and the clump of xenia was in his way and all up in its face... I'm sick of the xenia so i tried to get it off the rock like i ususally do when there is a thing growing in a place i don't want it, but it refused to budge, it ended up ripping off eventually, but i thin it released some sort of stuff, it smells HORRIBLE on my hand, and all the other xenia closed up that were in the tank even though I didn't touch them. Is this dangerous near my sebae? How to I get rid of this crap xenia that springs up all over otherwise? It released a milky pinkish/whitish substance before it dissipated...

Back