This setup is TOO DAMN LOUD!

Cliff

Reefing newb
I need help

I have setup a 90 gallon tank, and planned for excellent water movement from an external Dart pump - around 1800 gph. Mission accomplished, it rocks for water movement. I just cant have this thing in my livingroom long term:frustrat: It is too loud. My sump contains a protein skimmer and a quick return to the tank (29 gallon sump).

The tank is new, with 100+ lbs of live rock. No livestock yet. I'll continue to be patient if I can figure out how to quiet this thing down. I'm considering 2 options, but would love other ideas.

1- I can drill holes in my floor and put the sump in the basement. That would accomplish moving the big noise maker. Not really wanting to go this route, but if it's the best option - I'll fire up the drill.

2- Can I get good internal circulation with powerheads/wavemaker? I'm thinking about retiring the brand new dart:grumble:. Drastically slow down the sump flow and turn it into a refugium. Run the sump on significantly smaller internal pumps to power the skimmer and return to the tank.

What do you think?

Is the noise from the pump vibrations or from water movement?

If it is the pump, try putting it on a piece of foam or hand towel to deaden the noise.

If it is the water gurgling, there are ways to lessen the noise by different ways to plumb your overflows.

The noise problem is from resonance from the pump/motor. I have foam underneath the pump now. No contact with the plumbing to any solid surface. I can live with the waterfall, just not the base notes revirberating around the house.

I have mine in the basement. Its perfect, water changes and maintenance all away from display. Best idea one could do, no noise upstairs except for the crabs(farting machines)

Thanks for all the input. I may eventually move the sump into the basement, but for now I found biggest part of the problem. Turns out the plastic salinity meter was dropped between the pump plumbing and the stand, causing a big resonance issue.

I owe the Dart folks an apology. This is still the quietest external pump I've seen that can move 2000 gph.

Last edited:
Back