Thoughts on running a skimmerless system?

I've been skimmerless for months now, fuge seems to handle nitrates and phosphates just fine. But like everybody else says though, maintenence and bioload are the biggest things to keep in mind, especially without a skimmer. I do 15% PWCs once a week and I plan on sticking with just the 5 fish that I have. I have SPS growing pretty well too.

I've had the same experience --no serious algae problems and no skimmer and only a big ball of cheato. I trim my cheato back 2 or 3 times a month.

Without getting too deep into what a skimmer actually does, (I'll post some detailed info links) let's just say if you don't use a skimmer, the aprox 30% of TOC's (Total Organic Carbon) that a skimmer removes, won't get removed. I think it's a safe assumption to say most ppl who use a skimmer also do regular maintanence on their tank. Water changes will dilute whatever may be built up to a certain degree, but they won't move the additional TOC's a skimmer would have removed in addition to the water change. The long term build up of TOC's may not affect some systems where corals aren't as demanding in water quality, but it will affect the more delicate corals, like SPS, which demand pristine water quality. Unfortunately, unless you have about $12,000 for a TOC analyzer, we have no way to know exactly what the TOC levels are in our systems, but Ken Feldman is doing some work now on TOC removal with skimmers and GAC. The article should have some interesting info when it gets published.

Algae scrubbers have been around forever....well at least they were around when I started my reef a little over 20 yrs ago. They, along with chaeto, do help with nutrient export, but they do not remove what a skimmer removes. A skimmer will remove the ingredients that make up the algaes food.

And here's some good reading, but it's not easy reading. ;)
Feature Article: Elemental Analysis of Skimmate: What Does a Protein Skimmer Actually Remove from Aquarium Water? | Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Feature Article: The Development of a Method for the Quantitative Evaluation of Protein Skimmer Performance | Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Thanks for the indepth answer Larry. I do have that reef octo160 that doing a whole lot of nothing. I will use it, but I'm currently not using a skimmer as the corallife 125 sucks and I can't handle it any more. I'll be using the reef oct "whenever" I finally get around to setting up that 50g.

Have you looked into these NP-reducing BioPellets: Easy aquarium filtration
These biopellets seem to be all the range here in Calgary. You run them through a phosban reactor, but you still need a skimmer to help aerate the water and get rid of some of the bacteria. People who are running these say they almost have to start feeding more for their corals since the nutrients are ultra low.

Just an update on this thread since its been quite a while. I have since upgraded to a 75g in early July. This tank is also skimmerless. I run a 29g fuge and do a 10g water change every 2 weeks. So far my tank has never been doing better. I've got lots of SPS (mostly frags) and they are all growing and colorful.

Do you think its only a matter of time before things take a turn for the worst? I still have the reef octo 160 sitting in the closet just waiting to be used. I'm afraid that if I add the skimmer it will cause too big of a change and I'll start loosing the SPS. Let's hear some thoughts please! Thanks!

Im actually considering taking out my skimmer, I havent even cleaned it out for 3 weeks, so it isnt really do much with my tanks, i have no outbreaks and no algae so im not sure if i should just take it out myself. I wouldnt stress, you seem to have things under control and if SPS Are doing well, that is a sign of high quality water, so keep doing what your doing :)

Well im skimmerless too and havent had any problems YET. Id love to get one tho, just cant afford it at the moment. Ive also never had any water problems either. I do a water change once a month but i do the change on an exact 30 day mark.

Back