Tiny hitchiker polyps(?) on my toadstool leather rock

RockStacker

Reefing newb
I have noticed these tiny things that look like polyps on the rock that came with my toadstool leather.
I did not notice them when the daylights were on, but glowed when only the actinics were on.

Photo taken under actinic lights
unknownpolyps-actinic2.jpg

Photo taken with camera flash
unknownpolyps-flash2.jpg

These things are tiny.

Here are zoomed images.
The lighter colored section in the center of the "polyps" appear to have six defined points.
unknownpolyps-actiniczoom.jpg

unknownpolyps-flashzoom.jpg

Any idea what these are? porites perhaps?
At first I thought GSP but the polyp structures appear to be different.

I'm not really sure but I have a similar looking hitchhiker on one of my corals (though haven't seen the polyp extension that you are seeing). My best guess is (1) some sort of cyphastrea (?sp); (2) a tiny goniopora; or (3) some sort of montipora w/ colorful polyps. I hope others chime in to help out. Whatever they are, they are quite pretty!

I think they are tiny leather sprouts. Soft corals will generate a whole new coral from the few cells left behind in the main colony moves. The polyps look just like my toadstool polyps only in miniature, which also glow green like that.

DSC_0041-2.jpg

Thanks.
The toadstool leather attached to the rock is supposed to have a green base with green/yellow polyps although the polyps have not opened yet since it is still acclimating.
So these could have been fragments of the toadstool's foot at one time.

I will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Back