Tips for a newbie

xlayedoutx

Reefing newb
Anybody have any tips for a newbie. I mean I don't have a tank yet so any information would be helpful. Also I've been told that its ok to buy the tank, filters, skimmer, sand and a few pounds of live rock to get started and not to feel bad if the tank sits there for a month or two before i buy more live rock and start adding fish and coral. One guy told me he had nothing but live rock in his tank for 4 months before he bought his first fish. Has anybody else built their tank that slowly. Are there any benifits to doing it like that. I mean for me once I get the tank and some rock its probably going to sit there for awhile untill I get more cash saved up. Basicly I just wanted to know if it was a good idea to start slow like that or if I should save mroe so I can get more right away. Thanks in advance.

WELCOME TO LIVINGREEFS!@# :bounce:
its most definately a good idea to start slow..that way you can research tanks, equipment, livestock, etc...also jhnrb has posted tons of stuff in the articles section from beginners to advanced which are very helpful

rule # 736251837326 = dont impulse buy

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. It is just fine to go slow. research your system, read all you can. where there is a difference of opinion think through it as to what feels right to you. once you setup your system on paper then start to purchase the equipment that will get your system to where you want. I probably shouldnt tell you this but on my present system Ive been working on the system for over a year, still no water so, it will take as long as it will take, albiet I do have a sizeable investment in the equipment. So go as slow as you need to and never impulse buy a mistake we all fall victim to at one time or another. good luck good fishin and keep us posted. always welcomed.

PATIENCE,PATIENCE,PATIENCE

that is the one thing to practice and the hardes thing to learn in this hobby, espescially starting out. you will be so anxious to get stuff into the tank. but you have got to take your time in this. another thing I would recommend is buy the best equipment you can possibly afford. now before I get yelled at for saying that let me explain., if you scrimp now your gonna end up buying better equipment down the road.
I know i have done it with my lighting and it costed me a lot more money in the long run.
and do a lot of research and dont be afraid to ask questions. the only dumb question is the question you dont ask!!!

good luck

greg

Back