tjs

tjs

Reefing newb
Hi, I am so glad to be a part of this community, I take great pleasure in my fish tanks, even though I am a beginner. I aspecialy enjoy my saltwater tank. But I do nead help! I recently put in 25lbs of live rock, very fresh I might add. My I had just treated my tank for red slim, which I thought was cleared up. Now my tank and everything in it, is turning a brownish gold color, and there is a fuzzy layer of stuff. I now I am leaving the lights on to long, because I enjoy it so much. I don't want my things to die, so I think I nead help quickly. Can I rince my rocks and sand in a seperate tank, will this help? Thank you. Please excuse my spelling, I have never been good at that.:question:

you should read the helpfull articals there are a few on nusiance algae the brown stuff is most likly diatoms the red slim and diatoms feed on phosphate and silacate so test your water for that im going through the same problem right now and found my phosphates to be high and found the source my ro water i was buying from the store so im using water form a different source and water changes and using phosphate spong it seems to be helping some slowly any way but read the articals on red slime and brown algae in the helpfull articals i think it will help you out

Welcome to the site. Glad you found us. On the question, I would recommend to do a complete water parameter test, maybe the lfs could do it if you provided a sample. you need to 1st find out what is causing the problem and identify what it is you have, then you can take measures to deal with the cause and not just the effect. Keep us posted on your progress and post in the general forums any more questions you may have. nitrate should be low as possible less than 5ppm, phosphates 0, ammonia and nitrite 0, and silicates 0, also your oxygen level should be saturated at at least 7, temp apprx. 78 and salinity apprx 1.023 to 1.025. Your calcium at apprx 420 - 450. Post your water parameters and we can possibly make some suggestions.

Bobby, I'm not sure wat phosphate sponge is? and do you supose I can rince my sand and rocks in a seperate tank to try and eradicate some of it? thank you so much for your quick reply.:sfish: I am going to try and post a photo? It should be in misc. under tj's brown algae.

a phosphate sponge is a sponge with resins in it that remove phosphate but it only helps with the problem dosnt fix it my lfs sells a pad for about $6 and you cut it to fit but like jhnrb said you need to find the source and fix it from there i would take his advise he knows alot more than i do and has helped me before also i woundnt take the easy chemical way from what i read it could hurt some of your animals i use the pads to help lower the phosphates untill i can find and fix the source of the problem i dont know about rinsing the rock and sand i would think it could kill your bacteria if the temp and salt arnt the same do you have a good clean up crew mine are kept very busy and are helping some if you dont i would deffinatly get some they will help alot at cleaning your tank and stirring your sand bed

Back