To drill or not to drill

Adrastos

not getting a free ride
I currently use an overflow box in my system (no pre-drilled tank for me). The nearby coral farm has the proper drill to cut the tank... but I am nervous about it. I've done some searching and that has not eased my tension.

Has anyone here drilled through their tank and how was their luck with it? I've had this tank for a very long time and would hate for something to happen now...

I have not drilled but when I set up mine I am go to, or have someone else do it. If you already have the overflow why do you want to drill? If you do drill it, I have a really good diy overflow for you.

The guy that runs the coral farm is pushing for the drilling (he really isn't charging me anything, so I know its not $$$ motivated).

Sorry if I didn't explain it properly..we have an overflow/siphon thingy (that made a lot of sense!!!)

He recommends drilling the top side of the glass and setting up an overflow drain directly in the tank (instead of having to use the siphon tube setup)

Hope this made sense...

Ya I think drilled is better but if I had the overflow alread and was using it with no probs I would stick with it, though it depends on your prefrence I guess. If you do drill be sure to let us know how it goes.

I'll let you know - I still need to build up the courage to do the actual drilling... hoping this post might help build some confidence!

I would ask him if he could guarantee that he wouldn't break it, and if he would replace the tank if he did. I'm looking into having my tank drilled this week, by a professional. Most of the "bad drills" are on tempered glass. Try calling your tanks manufacturer and see if the sides are tempered. If they're not You should be fine. I am not speeking from personal experience just from what I have read on the internet.

My LFS recommended me getting my tank drilled, they said they'd come to my house and do it, but that means I'd have to drain the whole damn thing and find a babysitter for all my animals! And they still wanted to do it! They really tried to discourage me from using a siphon overflow box. Needless to say, I went with the siphon overflow box.

If yours is empty, I'd say go for it, like jermpool said, get it in writing that they will replace it if it breaks... Built in overflows are much easier to deal with than overflow boxes.

I have drilled 2 tanks and will drill my 75 in the future .I just do not want to empty it right know .It takes awhile to drill the tank .I drilled that that little tank that I had at the swap jermpool .U just have to be careful and take your time and pratice on drilling before u start.Get the right holesaw.Do not even try it with a rotery- tool .

I have heard of great sucsess with a dremal and a diamond dremal bit, however, it takes like 3 times the time to cut. I would stick with a hole saw, just wanted to give info I learned about the rotary tools.

He does have the proper drills... says he never broke a tank yet.. would take about 20 minutes to drill the hole... I've got a large enough tub that I can wheel over to the tank.. drain all the water, rocks and fish.. drop in a powerhead and heater.. and off I go.

Question - on your siphon. what do you use to start it back up again should the power go off?

Bifferwine said:
My LFS recommended me getting my tank drilled, they said they'd come to my house and do it, but that means I'd have to drain the whole damn thing and find a babysitter for all my animals! And they still wanted to do it! They really tried to discourage me from using a siphon overflow box. Needless to say, I went with the siphon overflow box.

If yours is empty, I'd say go for it, like jermpool said, get it in writing that they will replace it if it breaks... Built in overflows are much easier to deal with than overflow boxes.

I use a little Aqualifter pump, it stays plugged in 24/7 and it automatically restarts the siphon. It was like $7 or something. I have a CPR overflow box and it was recommended I buy the Aqualifter with it.

How well does it work? If I have another option instead of drilling.. I'd much rather do that.

Is there a website for how to set it up, or can you post a picture or two?

fishman said:
I have drilled 2 tanks and will drill my 75 in the future .I just do not want to empty it right know .It takes awhile to drill the tank .I drilled that that little tank that I had at the swap jermpool .U just have to be careful and take your time and pratice on drilling before u start.Get the right holesaw.Do not even try it with a rotery- tool .

If it was 55 gallons or smaller I would try it. But if I screw up a $400 tank I would never forgive myself. I was even thinking about selling mine and trying to find one that was factory drilled. So far I have found one for $600.

IM000232.JPG

Here you go. The Aqualifter has some tubing connected to the overflow box (this pulls air/water out to keep the siphon going), and the second piece of tubing goes back to the main tank (it drips water out). That way if the power goes out the Aqualifter starts right up again and your tank doesn't overflow. I tested everything out, doing "make believe power outages" when I first set it up to make sure it would do what it was supposed to do. It works.

Wonderfull. I'll have to do some searching and look for plans on how to set it up.. but I like this scenario much more then draining, emptying, moving, drilling and refilling...

Back