Too much skimming?

lightcs4

Loving to learn
I started having some issues after adding a skimmer to my 46 gal tank. I lost all SPS and some LPS, but my Duncans are doing fine. I also have some palys that are doing well and some zoanthids that are just doing "OK". I was wondering if my test kit wasn't registering a problem, so I took a sample to the LFS and was told everything was good. I had no ammonia or nitrites, less than .05 on nitrates, a PH of 8.2, Dkh at 9, and calc at 405. However, the candy canes seem a bit restrained and the zoanthids are not as open as the were before the skimmer. I use only RO/DI water, waiting 15 minutes before filling the buckets, and only feed every other day. The skimmer is rated for a 65 gal tank. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

This is just a shot in the dark.But check your tank for stray voltage.
The addition of the skimmer should have helped the corals do better.

Temps do swing a couple of degrees. I keep it at 80 during the evening so it doesn't swing so much more than two degrees with the lights.

I have a grounding rod due to an incident of stray voltage, but haven't found any since replacing a pump. It is also on a GFI outlet, although it is my understanding it may allow a small amount of stray voltage.

I only have two fish in the tank, a gold headed sleeper goby and a royal gamma. I was concerned with the sleeper kicking up sand but it doesn't seem to do much with the sand. It eats well when I feed the tank and is getting good and fat. I do plan on adding a couple more fish, peaceful ones only. I had a couple clowns but they killed everything I added to the tank, even a six line wrasse :grumble:.

Thanks for the ideas.

Just a general question? Is it possible to over skim a tank. I didn't think it would skim if there wasn't anything to skim. Is that right?

:question: Sen are you sure that is true? Do you have any quotes/articles to substantiate that statment? Just curious because most of us keep our tanks at a higher temperature than 78*

Yea, during summer time, keep it at 80F is much more feasible than at 78F. I believe lot of mods here with big tanks also keep theirs at 80+.

The key to temps is stability. 82 or 83 will be much better staying the same thing than having your water temps bounce all around. I know alot of folks that keep theirs around 82 or 83. Like I said stability is the key when it comes to temps.

YEah you can overskim. I set mine so the foam and bubbles were about halfway up the reaction chamber section of the collection cup. I watched it for 20 minutes without anything dumping into the cup. I left came home about 4 hours later to hear my return pump running almost dry. it foamed up and kept on foaming until the the 5 gal collection just was full then proceeded to pour another 5 or so gallons of water out into the bottom of the stand. That was a headache!

My 30g tank runs 81-82 all the time. The lights heat it up to 82 during the day, so I set my heater to keep it at 81 at night. Stability is better than "textbook" parameters.

I've got 9 different LPS corals in my tank and none of them have over shown signs of temperature related stress.

Yea, they all say 72-78°. I've never seen anything other than that range. I think it's just a general suggestion.

Back